$10.00 for Worktunes headphones

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by jcr_17, Apr 30, 2004.

1. jcr_17

jcr_17 LawnSite Member
    from Texas

I have been seriously considering the possibility to purchase a pair of the peltor worktunes headphones so that I could mow and still listen to the radio. I wasn't really wanting to spend appx. $59.99 on them from the Peltor website.

I finally decided against them after reading the reviews from Amazon.com due to the fact that the AM stations came in so poorly, especially since I only listen to talk radio.

I was in Wal-Mart today and I'll be darned if I didn't see two pairs sitting on the shelf. They packaging looked really rough and it seemed as though they had seen their fair share of abuse in the darkest corners of the Wal Mart stock room. Anyway, I take a pair to have them priced checked and the cashier told me they were $49.88. I took a pair since it was obviously much cheaper than buying from Peltor and if I didn't like them I could get a quick refund.

I get to the cash register and the cashier called a CSM (customer service manager) to the line. I asked what was wrong and she said the they were $10.00 and she needed an override. Damn, for $10.00 I had to run and get the other pair too. So now I have two pair for $20.00.

I used a pair for the first time and overall, I was impressed. The AM stations came in fairly clear. Not that effective against dampening out the noise, but nevertheless, I was able to hear the radio.

My only complaint is that it causes so much persperation to build up.
  2. poolboy

poolboy LawnSite Silver Member
    from earth

I would be scared of the two large white circles on the sides of my face after summer.
  3. chuckwk

chuckwk Founder
    from KC, MO

small price to pay
  4. crawdad

crawdad LawnSite Bronze Member

I wear them, no white circles here. Mine fell off the side of the truck onto the street while I was unloading, now the FM is broken. AM works, but who wants to listen to talk radio all day? I went to 2 Wal-Marts, the second one had some, 50 bucks.
  5. Mark McC

Mark McC LawnSite Bronze Member

I wear hearing protection and no tunes. I just can't handle the racket anymore. Even highway noises make me nuts. I guess it's just middle age calling.
  6. GreenMonster

GreenMonster LawnSite Silver Member
    from NH

I'll give you $40.00 for both:D
  7. AuburnGuy

AuburnGuy LawnSite Senior Member

I have heard of these deals at wal-mart, but never seen them. What section of the store are these in. I was looking in sporting goods.
  8. doublesharp

doublesharp LawnSite Senior Member

I always find the best clearance deals in automotive but it pays to look in sporting goods and the outdoor section too. I've never seen worktunes at the Wmarts I shop. I bought a set off the internet a few years back and they still work fine.
  9. grasswhacker

grasswhacker LawnSite Gold Member

I have used Radio Shack headphones for 6 years. They work great and there are some benifits:
    1. They keep dirt and grass out of your ears
    2. They protect your ears from sunburn, thus reducing the chance for skin cancer on the ears.
    3. It does reduce the engine noise.
    4. You can listen to talk radio all day!

They do get a bit sweaty, but the benifits far outweigh the wet ears.

10. ElephantNest

ElephantNest LawnSite Bronze Member
    from La.

I found the Peltors at WalMart also. Got the last two pair, for $17.00 each. They were in the garden section.