10,000 flyers

Discussion in 'Starting a Lawn Care Business' started by kentuckylawns, Nov 13, 2006.

1. kentuckylawns

kentuckylawns LawnSite Member

If i post 10,000 flyers, do you guys think think i should be able to secure 50-60 accounts without lowballing. And 60 accounts that average 1/2 to 3/4 acre, how many hours do you pros think it would take to do those 60, i will factor in about 3 hours travel time to all those accounts weekly.

Thanks and your honest responses are appreciated, sorry if this thread has been done previously.

2. MattsMowing3535

MattsMowing3535 LawnSite Senior Member

With 10,000 flyers you should be able to get close to the 50 range. As far as time I need to know what mower(s) you have and what the deck size is.

3. kentuckylawns

no mowers yet, just waiting to secure a bunch of accounts, then purchase a lazer z and a used walk behind.

4. MattsMowing3535

MattsMowing3535 LawnSite Senior Member

Well then I cant tell you how long they will take. I would strongly suggest only starting with the walkbehind. I thought I would get one of both or just a Z but then I relized that walkbehind are much eiser to use and better for small propertys. When I get 10-15 yards I can use a large deck ZTR on ill buy one. but until then I am and suggest just keeping a used walkbehind only.

5. kentuckylawns

okay, but you think 10,000 flyers will do the trick, and how much do you think they will cost?? Thanks, i appreciate the responses.

6. Ed Ryder

Ed Ryder LawnSite Senior Member

It might not do the trick. The marketing message has got to inspire the reader to call. I see the same old copycat flyers all the time:

reliable
    fully insured
    free estimates
    reasonable prices.

Ha!:cry:

7. kentuckylawns

Do you have any suggestions for me?? Any input is greatly appreciated!

8. PMLAWN

PMLAWN LawnSite Gold Member

Figure about a 1-2% responce rate-- so 100 to 200 calls and about a 30% sales rate if you are priced right and know how to sell. so about 30 to 60 good jobs,
    depending on trimming and the ocsticials maybe 1/2 hour to an hour for each lot and I do not know you heighborhood structure but I believe more than 3 hours drive. figurer 5 min+ per, so at 50 I would bet 4-5 hours so lets say 5 to be safe and 45 min a job so 37.5 plus the 5 is about 42 and 1/2 of work and about another 20 or so for the rest of the business so about 62 hgours of work--
    at 45 per lot that is $2250 per week which you should be able to bring home about 30% of or $675 / the 62 hours should net you right at 11 an hour

9. daveintoledo

daveintoledo LawnSite Silver Member

not all that much money is it.....:)

10. 04TurfT

04TurfT LawnSite Senior Member

You might get about 20 good customers, but alot of calls you get are people who have saved your flyer for a month and then call you and say "my mower is broke so I need it mowed this week" or "the last guy did it for 15 dollars can you match that" and other BS like that... However I am not saying don't put out flyers, I have gotten good clients off of flyers, it is just very rare. Once you get some good yards, make them look nice, and many neighbors and friends will want you to do their yard. trust me the numbers will take care of themselves. good luck....