10,000 mile 08 super duty oil changes

Discussion in 'Trucks and Trailers' started by supercuts, Mar 17, 2008.

1. supercuts

supercuts LawnSite Silver Member

hello everyone, im curious what everyone is doing with their 08 super duty with the 6.4L diesel and the 10,000 oil change intervals. if your doing the first early and if so at how many miles.

the reason im asking is mine is at 4500 miles. the manual says to do it every 10K miles. i called the dealer and they said there is no more "break in" period on new cars. they do however, disagree with Ford and would like to see them every 5k miles. at $130 an oil change, i dont want to be cheap and ruin a brand new truck, but if Ford says 10K, im not sure which to pick.

so, just wondering what everyone else is doing with theirs. for once, i might be a follower.

CLARK LAWN LawnSite Silver Member

i would say it would depend on the kind of driving you do. if you put alot of miles then 10k should be fine but if its all around town strart/stop,idling then i would go for the 5k
  3. J&R Landscaping

J&R Landscaping LawnSite Fanatic

A bit off topic but I hope you called a different dealer then the 1 in your other thread... I would go and do it at either 5,000 miles or maybe 7,500 miles. my 2006 6.0psd gets the oil changed every 5,000 miles. Manual says I can let it go to 7,500.
  4. TXNSLighting

TXNSLighting LawnSite Fanatic
    from DFW, TX

a 130 dollar oil change???!!!! what the?
  5. TXNSLighting

TXNSLighting LawnSite Fanatic
    from DFW, TX

10k is fine for these trucks. 5 is to often and a waste of money. 7500-10 is what you should do. hell i go almost 10 on my duramax.
  6. supercuts

supercuts LawnSite Silver Member

absolutely!! those idiots didnt even know the intervals. i called the dealer i bought it from... who is no longer a Ford dealer as my luck has it. i didnt plan on bringing it to them anyhow, they are too far away. i only bought it there for $9500 off sticker
  7. customcurbdesigns

customcurbdesigns LawnSite Member
    from Tampa

Go somwhere else for the oil change. I only pay 89.95....130.00 is a rip off.
  8. ponyboy

ponyboy LawnSite Bronze Member
    from ny

we do it every 3 months no matter how many miles we only do about 10000 a year all local stop and go pulling a trailer or carrying a load. So buy the oil yourself and start changing. On a 50,000 truck why not try to keep it mainteaned my F 550 06 goes by the hours not miles 10k miles seem high it is making you money take care of it so it last longer. just my thoughts
  9. Watson's Landscaping

Watson's Landscaping LawnSite Senior Member

did mine at 1,000/ 3,000/6,000/took it in for the 7,500 mile check up/and have been going every 3,000 since. and if theres a check up in between i take it in for that so i'm never over 3,000 miles on the oil change. but its got the 5.4 gas motor.. a.k.a "fuel hog" gotta love 6mpg:cry: haulen the snowmobile trailer
  10. SimonCX

SimonCX LawnSite Senior Member

Maybe it's just me but I feel better changing the oil every 3.5-5k instead of 10k miles, a new diesel engine is about $7000-8000 and changing the oil myself costs me $50 for oil and filter. When I asked the diesel tech at the dealership I bought my ford at he said 7-8k miles only if your on the highway all the time, if stop and go change it every 4-5k miles.