10,000 sq - 14,000 sq properties, light trimming, edging... $$$

Discussion in 'Starting a Lawn Care Business' started by Carolina Cuts, Mar 18, 2006.

1. Carolina Cuts

Carolina Cuts LawnSite Bronze Member

I had one customer in a high end community last year ($600,000+ homes)... $35.00 per cut. It was late in the season, so therefore no advertising in this community. This season I decided to put flyers out here. 50 flyers... $30-$35 per cut, light trimming, edging... fairly easy and open cuts. Z-turn dream lawns. :)
    35-45 minute lawns for me.. by myself.

Within the first week of 50 flyers, I received 9 nine calls from this particular community... statistically an unbelievable return. But I'm wondering why? One particular customer told me she was getting quotes of $60.00... WTF?? I can't imagine charging that much. Another customer told me he was getting estimates of $20-$40... Do some LCO's look at a persons house and BMW in the driveway and automatically raise the price just because 'they can afford it..."??? or am I waaay to low? Some helpful insight please?

2. Splicer

Splicer LawnSite Senior Member

Depends on how big the property is. Also yes, when some people see the Beemer in the drive greed overcomes them. You need to charge what the market will bear, no more, no less.

3. mole

mole LawnSite Member

Don't worry about others and what others may say on this sight. you are the one who is cutting the lawn and living in that community. charge what you feel is right.

4. Carolina Cuts

I thought I was ... I'ma solo operator, so overhead is low. But I didn't want to charge too little either. I figured $30-$35 for 30-45 minutes was fair. But 9 calls??? out of 50 flyers... raised a red flag for me and made me question my pricing. Or maybe I just had a really good flyer this year or just really good timing. Crazy thing is... I could still put out 150 more flyers in this community.... :rolleyes: I only advertised on 3 streets so far....

5. Splicer

Splicer LawnSite Senior Member

What are you waiting for man? Go boy GO!!!

At your prices volume work will pay off especially when you have what a 2 minute drive time to each job if that? You are way overthinking this IMHO...

6. Carolina Cuts

nahhh just bored. Hungover from St. Patty's day... with no ambition to go outside today...:)

7. PMLAWN

PMLAWN LawnSite Gold Member

Maybe they had a very high quality provider.-- Are You??

8. Freddy_Kruger

Freddy_Kruger LawnSite Bronze Member

Maybe they are early April Fool's jokes :p

9. Carolina Cuts

rumor has it... I am. Been getting alot of referrals.

10. PMLAWN

PMLAWN LawnSite Gold Member

Than I believe you have a good problem. Jack up the rates a little and see what happens.