Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by precisioncut, Nov 12, 2003.

1. precisioncut

precisioncut LawnSite Senior Member

Did any of you (be honest) when you first started out jusitfy spending $10,000 dollars on a rider (+ other purchases)? I mean when you only had a couple clients and did it part-time. I can't. Just starting to get things going good but still can't do it. A $3,000 walk-behind sounds great for me.
  2. BrandonH

BrandonH LawnSite Member

I'm also part-time now with just a few accounts and only have a walk-behind. I'm really hoping to build up quickly this spring so I can justify that $10k mower though.

3. Shuter

Shuter LawnSite Bronze Member

Same. I am solo with 40 accounts, but only a few real big ones. It makes more sense for me to work the walk behind a little extra on the big lots, than not utilize a Z on small lots.
  4. bayfish

bayfish LawnSite Senior Member

Don't start out in huge debt. Get what you need to do a professional job until you aquire more clients. Lots of businesses get bogged down with debt for new trucks and mowers and can't recover. Your on the right track.
  5. KirbysLawn

KirbysLawn Millenium Member

Yes, I could and did...well not $10k but around $6k. I figured the time saved doing large lawns would more than make up for the cost and I could use the tax write off anyway. Here was my first set-up back in 1997...

6. Green in Idaho

Green in Idaho LawnSite Senior Member
    from Idaho

I had three major contracts signed BEFORE I bought my first expensive rider. As in the contracts were signed in the fall when I did not even have any big mowers. So I ordered my first rider knowing I had plenty of work for it. I was chomping at the bit for the dealer to detail it out 'cause it was late arriving that spring and so I was two weeks behind on mowing. "is it here yet? Is it here yet?"

No need to buy a wedding ring before finding a sweetie...
  7. KirbysLawn

KirbysLawn Millenium Member

Oh, wait that's my rig now...here's my old set-up, that's a trailer full of mower lol:

8. precisioncut

precisioncut LawnSite Senior Member

I'll probably wait 'til I sign some bigger contracts before getting "in to deep." Besides not to many LCO's around know what the word acre means. LOL (including myself)
  9. olderthandirt

olderthandirt LawnSite Platinum Member
    from here

I'm in the landscaping part of the trade. I worked at Ford saved a few K and went to the bank and borrowed 28k against house. never had a client or job lined up this was almost 29 yrs ago. I like to call it incentive! If I did not find work would have lost house, car, truck, ruined credit, wife probably would have left me, OH wait that would have been a benefit. LOL. If you want to make money theres only a couple legal ways of doing it. #1 go to work for someone thats willing to put his azz on the line and take home your weekly check or #2 Be the one who takes the chance, if it works you get to write the checks to the guys that do the work for you.

10. paponte

paponte LawnSite Silver Member

Well there you go. Have your machines work for you, don't ever work for your machines. :cool: