10-10-10. i love it

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Ol'time Lawncare, Apr 2, 2004.

1. Ol'time Lawncare

Ol'time Lawncare LawnSite Senior Member
    from NJ

after you lime, i my self use 10-10-10,and in two weeks i should be cutting.if the sun comes out, after 3 mouth i go back and give it another shot of 10-10-10., should i do this , or should i use 5-10-5 alil less powerfull? " they say dont stress the grass" is this right???

2. DennisF

DennisF LawnSite Bronze Member
    from Florida

Cool season grasses can use a little more nitrogen than 10%. I would up the nitro to at least 18-20. That'll green things up in a hurry.

3. turfsurfer

turfsurfer LawnSite Senior Member

Neither of you are mentioning at what rate you are putting this down which is the important thing. 6 lbs. /1000 of the 10-10-10 gives you the same amount of N as 3 lbs/1000 of 20-10-10. No more than 0.5 N/1000 in the spring, switching to heavier feedings in the fall and late fall is the ticket. Also, I'm assuming cool season grasses as in new jersey.

4. bobbygedd

bobbygedd LawnSite Fanatic
    from NJ

i'm confused. what are you tring to accomplish by 10-10-10?

5. DennisF

DennisF LawnSite Bronze Member
    from Florida

The amount of fertilizer applied per 1000k SF is determined by maunufacturer recommendation and the type and/or blend of grass that it is being applied to. In other words...follow the directions on the bag.

6. Ol'time Lawncare

from NJ

after i lime i use 10-10-10 to get the lawn started for the season, and it works fine!doesnt cost as much as others and does the same job! so i should raise the nitro alittle, thank you dennis going to try it, im trying to keep it green thow the hot summer with only watering 3 times a week, thats the program here!

7. gene gls

gene gls LawnSite Gold Member

Ol'time,

Triple 10 is an agricultural fertilizer used in farming and it is watersolubale. When it gets wet, it dissolves, so you get the full value right then. It will not last for 3 months. You need to use a slow release fertilizer that will last for an extended peroid of time.

Gene

8. dcondon

dcondon LawnSite Silver Member

be best to be using a 20# at least. Lime and 10-10-10 is not going to cut it!!!!

9. Ol'time Lawncare

from NJ

ok, scouts programs are to expensive, people just dont want to pay, so what exacly should i use in a slow release fertilizer, i'm alittle worryed now!

10. qualitylandscaping

qualitylandscaping LawnSite Bronze Member

Lesco Poly Plus 24-5-11

I get it for about $12.00/bag covers 12,500sqft

Good stuff!