10/11 Acres with 15-20% Grade?

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by xRUSTYx, May 14, 2013.

1. xRUSTYx

xRUSTYx LawnSite Member

Hey Guys ...

First post, but I've been a lurker for quite a while. First ~ I'm relatively new to the lawn care business. Currently do it part time and have a whopping 8 accounts and they all happen to be in my subdivision and the subdivision next door :clapping:

I had no intentions of doing other people's lawn, but people saw the time & effort I put in to my own ~ and ask that I do theirs. All lots are roughly 11,000 sq ft or so. So, I currently am running just a residential 42" JD ZTR and get them all done on Saturdays.

I have no real desire to make this a full time gig, as I'm quite happy with my day job. With that said ~ it be nice to fall back on should the job get terminated.

Question:
    So .... On to my question! We just bought 15+ acres. Roughly 10-11 acres of this is grass/pasture with a 15-20% grade. My JD isn't going to cut it, and I'd like to go ahead and upgrade to something that you think can take care of the job. I'd cut it probably about once every 3-4 weeks, and use the new commercial mower on my part time gig as well!

I'll likely end up with a front loader to take care of other things, but I want a good finished cut with a ZTR or Stand Up.

What would your recommendations be (Brand, HP, etc...). I'm open to just about everything!

Currently ~ The acreage gets bush hogged every 2-3 months for $400 because I don't have the means of cutting it myself :)

Some pictures of the property

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. gcbailey

gcbailey LawnSite Silver Member
    from WV

personally I'd go with a sub-compact tractor like a Kubota BX or JD 1 series... Maybe even a Kubota B or JD 3000 series...

3. ztman

ztman LawnSite Bronze Member

Name brand commercial mowers all seem to have their following. You will have to get what suits you best. Best way to determine what is right for you is demo each mower you are considering. I would suggest that you demo Hustler , Scag and Exmark as a starting point, not a limiting point. Kubota is a beast as well but some can be pricy. Have the dealer bring them to your property so you can test them out on your land. Based on the size of your land, comfort will be important. Hustler has a good ride , and I prefer the Scag Cheetah. Give them a test and see what you think

4. xRUSTYx

xRUSTYx LawnSite Member

Hey GC,

Already plan to get a tractor when we build. From what I have seen though ~ I don't like the tractor lawn finishing capabilities, thus the reason why I'm looking for a zero turn (or similar) to do the job :) Although ~ It may be a pipe dream due to the grade?

Appreciate it ztman! You think a quality commercial ZT will be able to handle the grade on this property?

5. ztman

ztman LawnSite Bronze Member

That grade shouldn't be a problem if you get a mower with 30+ hp, but that is why i would demo the mowers on your land.

Last edited: May 14, 2013
  6. xRUSTYx

xRUSTYx LawnSite Member

Gotcha! Thanks zt! Appreciate the help!

7. hi_speedreed

hi_speedreed LawnSite Senior Member

Maybe you should check out Ventrac or Steiner. Both are designed to mow slopes up to 30* and have numerous implements including finish mowers, rough cut mowers, Ventrac has a front end loader and I think one of them can get a mini excavator. Ventrac has a youtube channel, I watch and wish :)
    Posted via Mobile Device

8. xRUSTYx

xRUSTYx LawnSite Member

Didn't even know these existed!!!! And they line incredibly well!

Nearest dealer is 2+ hours away though :dizzy:

Time to research Ventrac! :)

9. gcbailey

gcbailey LawnSite Silver Member
    from WV

I cut 10 acres of family property using a kubota bx2360 w/72" rear finish mower. It's really nice. It has a 54" belly mower too (of course don't use both together). Depending on your properties you may be able to use a SCUT. They really aren't much bigger than a garden tractor, plus you can get basically any implement for a SCUT that you could for a CUT.

I'll also add this.... one of our Lazer Z's with a 60" is $10k+.... for $14K I got a BX2360 w/54", FEL and 4' brush hog.... We use the SCUT a lot for landscaping and even on larger properties.

10. xRUSTYx

xRUSTYx LawnSite Member

Hey gc ... How does the 2360 handle slopes? As you can tell by my pictures, 90% of the property is sloped. Thanks for chiming in!