10 acre estate

Discussion in 'Irrigation' started by greenmonster304, Mar 11, 2008.

1. greenmonster304

greenmonster304 LawnSite Gold Member

Since I went off on my own, the live-in care taker at my old boss's biggest irrigation service account approached me about servicing the system at the 10 acre estate she works for. She said she wants someone who knows the system to take care of it she doesn't care who they work for.

My old boss will lose the account no matter what so I guess my question is: (A) should I accept the account?
    (B) should I give my old boss a heads up?

I should add for those of you who have not read my previous posts related to this subject that I don't have any contract with my old boss.
  2. Wet_Boots

Wet_Boots LawnSite Fanatic

Take the account.
  3. EagleLandscape

EagleLandscape LawnSite Platinum Member
    Male, from Garland, Texas

Here's the deal. You no longer work for your old boss. His attitude on everything ruined any goodwill and loyalty that you had for his company. Period. If you are on your own now, take it all.
  4. greenmonster304

thats what I was thinking but then I start second guessing myself and my conscience gets the better of me but I guess nice guys finish last.
  5. hoskm01

hoskm01 LawnSite Fanatic

Take it. Sounds like a goody. Too bad for your old boss!
  6. greenmonster304

It may lead to the service at the owners personal horse farm which is another 5 acres of turf +/- and a few sand riding rings but that property is run by another care taker so I guess I will see.
  7. NC_Irrigator

NC_Irrigator LawnSite Bronze Member
    from NC

Do not talk to your old boss.
  8. clcare2

clcare2 LawnSite Member
    from indiana

take it. You are now the same as any other guy out there.

As long as you aren't cherry picking or under bidding his properties, he has no reason to be upset.
  9. I know you want to do right. You are a lot like me. I'm way too nice to be a business owner but you have to learn to get ugly early. Take the account, don't waste time defending yourself, do a primo job and send a message to your former employer you are now a competitor.
  10. DanaMac

DanaMac LawnSite Fanatic

Doesn't sound like your going to actively try "taking" any accounts. But if you get contacted by these customers/clients, "accept" them graciously. BUT, you may be shooting yourself in the foot. My previous employer from over 15 years ago gives me a ton of repair work. Had I "taken or accepted" any of his accounts he might have thought otherwise.

A few years after I left, he approached me about buying his repair business (customer list and vehicle) as he got more into landscaping and water features. I was unable to handle that big of a jump in customers at the time, and declined. He sold it to the existing tech (I think) but that guy went under soon after. He then started sending all service and winterizing customers to me. I have sent him some landscaping and water feature leads as well.