1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

10 biggest mistakes a lawnboy makes

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by bobbygedd, Oct 28, 2004.

1. bobbygedd

bobbygedd LawnSite Fanatic
    from NJ

ok, let's hear it, in your own words, what are the biggest/worse mistakes a person in the lawn business makes. i'll start with #1, and you knew this was comming: having no control over payment policies. ALLOWING the customer to control your cashflow, acting like a credit company, when you don't know a damn thing ABOUT being a credit company. so, that's mine, PAYMENT POLICIES, or lack of them. add to the list
  2. sodgod

sodgod LawnSite Member

I would have to say that the first one is right. In my opinion the second worst mistake is not returning phone calls and not showing up for an estimate. This is only happened to me twice in all the jobs that i have done thank god. Honestly, i don't remember in both cases that i would show on saterday. I always write things down, those two i must not have. But with a little sweet talk and a lot of saying i'm sorry, You slowly gain back their trust.
  3. grasswhacker

grasswhacker LawnSite Gold Member

Routes that spread over too large an area. They need to be tighter for more efficeint use of time.
    Buying too much equipment that is not used enough to justify it's cost.
    A trailer that is too small. Always go bigger than you think you need for hauling debris or mulch.
  4. geogunn

geogunn LawnSite Gold Member
    from TN

I think not knowing how to use a shovel properly rates right up there.

5. The LawnSmith

The LawnSmith LawnSite Member

Waiting too long to bid on a job you drive by everyday and then noticing that someone else did it.
  6. PLI1

PLI1 LawnSite Senior Member

laying sod green side down.
  7. lqmustang

lqmustang LawnSite Senior Member

Bidding too low, whether it's just to build a quick client base, or flat out lack of knowledge on going prices in ones specific market.
  8. 1MajorTom

1MajorTom Senior Moderator

Buying too much equipment right at the start when the accounts aren't even there. Too much debt too quick is nothing but a disaster waiting to happen.
  9. seven-up

seven-up LawnSite Member
    from la

cutting the grass to short, ie scalping it year round....
  10. Mo Green

Mo Green LawnSite Bronze Member

Running over dog $h!t.