10' bolt

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by CandJ, Nov 4, 2000.

1. CandJ

CandJ LawnSite Member

Does anyone know where I can get at least three 5/8-11X10 Grade 5 Hex nuts? In order to put double blades on my Skag, I need a longer bolt. (The current one is 9.5") Or, does anyone with a Skag have another idea for doing this?

The only place I've found so far is McMaster - Carr, but the minimum order is 25 bolts. I only need 3 - 6.

Thanx

2. landscaper3

landscaper3 LawnSite Bronze Member

3. MIDSOUTH

MIDSOUTH LawnSite Senior Member

i just put doubles on my 61" turf tiger -,i had a local machine shop turn me some new spacers that were 1/4 shorter that the original spacers.the new ones are 1 inch long instead of 1-1/4 like the old ones.

4. Guido

Guido LawnSite Silver Member

We had a local nutty bolt (fastner store) but if you can't find it at your local hardware stores, try calling or stopping by a machine shop. I really took my old neighbor for granted( he was a machinest) he always did a ton of stuff to help me modify my trucks and equipment. A machinest or toolmaker is a great person to know!

Good Luck!

5. thelawnguy

thelawnguy LawnSite Silver Member

Eckart and Finard, (860) 246-7411

6. CandJ

CandJ LawnSite Member

I checked with Grainger, they don't have them that long. I'll have to check out Eckart and Finard and the machine shop route tho...thanx for all the help!

7. TLS

TLS LawnSite Fanatic

What size SCAG? I have a 48" WB and it has the bolt that yours has and it has like 5 1/4" spacers between each spindle and the blades. When I run doubles, I simply remove one spacer and put it in the tool box. Blades are same thickness as the spacers.

Maybe all SCAG's aren't the same as mine? I think its time for SCAG to update that design as it is dated and it is much simpler to use just a bolt similar to Dixie and Exmark.

8. MIDSOUTH

MIDSOUTH LawnSite Senior Member

on the tiger it is one spacer on each blade that measures 1-1/4 inch long. i had a machine shop make me some 1 inch spacers for running doubles. your best bet may be to go to your dealer and get some 1/4 spacers that are off of one of the fixed deck walkbehinds and have like (4) 1/4 spacers for each blade.

9. CandJ

CandJ LawnSite Member

dixie1, I have a new 52" Skag Ultimate Hydro. It's the same setup as Midsouth's tiger. (one 1 1/4" spacer). I'll look at getting the 4 spacers per spindle.

10. Scraper

Scraper LawnSite Bronze Member

CandJ...I have the exact same mower as you and all you have to do is remove a spacer. No problems! And actually the spacer is a little thicker than the blade.