10 Day mowing schedule anyone?

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by tedblackwood, May 17, 2010.

1. tedblackwood

tedblackwood LawnSite Member

I live in Asheville NC and cut tall fescue for mostly small residential customers. We do landscaping as well and currently have 1 full time employee and 1-2 part time employees during these peak times.

We have 35 maintenance accounts and the majority are on a 10 day schedule.

It seems to please most customers. My concern is that as we grow is this going to be too difficult. I see the benefit in weekly mowing for sure. But...I know that if I only offered weekly or bi-weekly mowing, I would have less business at the moment.

Does anyone else offer a 10 day mowing schedule with success?

2. sharpcuts

sharpcuts LawnSite Member
    from NE OK

I know it is popular in some areas, and I have had some request for it, but I would never do it. It is a royal pain to schedule. If ALL your jobs are on that schedule it wouldn't be too bad I guess. This time of year here I don't think I could get away with waiting that long on fescue though. I can see it in areas where they grow centipede & other slower grasses though.

3. unkownfl

unkownfl LawnSite Gold Member

Do you work on the weekends? I have one job I do on a 10 day, its very large and it fell onto Saturday and I was going to do it today but I got rained out so I have to cut it tomorrow and so how manage to get the rest of Monday and Tuesdays scheduled work done too. Its going to suck and be about a 14 hour day tomorrow just cutting plus setup and drop off time. I hate 10 day crap but if it pays you have to do it right now.

4. tedblackwood

tedblackwood LawnSite Member

Yes...10 days pays the bills atm. But just to be clear...10 days means 10 days give or take. If we have to come after 8 days so we don't work the weekend so be it. It it's been dry, we wait 'till Monday. Can be tough with the weekly's though.

My wife says, "Why don't you set one or two days aside so you can play catch up if you need to?" I just answer....HAAhahahaha

5. mark123

mark123 LawnSite Senior Member

I got two customers that requested 10 day rotations when I was not in a position to refuse a job. I thought about it and talked them into a 10 and then 11 day alternating schedule. That makes 2 cuts every 21 days so that they will always fall on the same days, Monday and Thursday.

They've turned out to be great customers so I can't complain except for now in the spring when their grass is 18' high by the time the 10th day rolls around.

6. PLS-Tx

PLS-Tx LawnSite Silver Member
    from Texas

No way. :nono:

Very hard on the schedule.

7. ashgrove landscaping

ashgrove landscaping LawnSite Gold Member

The 10 sucks. There will never be a schedule. I try to do it with my two weekers just to get that extra mow in for the month but that really doesn't apply. Doing a every other week is bad enough. But money is money.

8. Darryl G

Darryl G LawnSite Fanatic

10 day doesn't work for me. It's either weekly or bi-weekly.

9. clydebusa

clydebusa LawnSite Bronze Member

10 days do suck, but like one mentioned I have a couple and they are actually 8 to 11 days, whenever I can put them in. They are close to the house so I can get them on the way home or 1st thing out.

10. akp

akp LawnSite Member

Does anyone have any info on King Lawn and Snow in Northville, MI? Are they a scam?