1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

10 day schedule?

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Woody82986, Mar 14, 2004.

1. Woody82986

Woody82986 LawnSite Silver Member
    from DFW, TX

This season, instead of doing a true 10 day mowing schedule for the clients that want a 10 day schedule, I am thinking I will do a Tuesday-Friday 10 day schedule. What I mean is, week one you will mow on Tuesday, week 2 you mow on Friday, week 3 there is no mow and week4 you mow on Tuesday again. It actually works out to be a 10 day-11 day schedule but it is the only way I can see getting a set 10 day schedule inbetween Monday and Friday without working on Saturday or Sunday. I want to keep Saturday and Sunday as off days or extra work days if I get behind this season. Does this sound alright to you guys or should I stay with a true 10 day schedule?
  2. Andyinchville

Andyinchville LawnSite Senior Member

I don't do 10 day schedules because the 10th say falls on a different day every time.....I have some costomers that want that but I tell then I only have 1 week or 2 week (2 week has surcharge because of the tall grass in between mowings)
    . I tell some that we can start off at a 1 week schedule then fall back to 2 week schedule if / when grass starts to slow down.Hope this helps.

3. Turfdude

Turfdude LawnSite Bronze Member

I offered this years ago ( but did Monday/Thursday). For lots of reasons, I quickly ditched this and gave everyone a set mowing day and changed to weekly service. IMHO 10 day lawns will kill you, especially if you have a heavy week and get a lot of rain, or a 3-day weekend due to a holiday.
  4. rodfather

rodfather LawnSite Fanatic

Every 10 days? Nope. I don't need the aggravation. Like Td said, everyone gets a set mowing day which is adhered to the best of our control.
  5. lawnlubber

lawnlubber LawnSite Member

I set a weekly schedule for all who want that. Any requests for other than weekly I tell people to call me before each service. I can usually get to it within a day or two but weekly scheduled customers receive priority. I set aside a block of time in my daily schedule to handle these jobs or work on add-ons like mulch. It is a nice way to bring in those who are hesitant about the price.
  6. Tharrell

Tharrell LawnSite Silver Member

They just want to beat you out of some money. In their minds, there are 3-10 day periods in a month. See it for what it is. Cut when the turf needs it but charge on a monthly basis.
  7. tiedeman

tiedeman LawnSite Fanatic
    from earth

I want everybody to repeat this phrase:

cut as needed or when needed decided by yourself, not the customer.
  8. Runner

Runner LawnSite Fanatic

Exactly! I don't do the "10 day" thing, or the "every other week" thing. If it's up to me, and it happens,.. ok. But, then, it's MY doing. My fault,.. and they are not charged extra for the longer grass. Weekly schedule always works best.
  9. lawnagent

lawnagent LawnSite Senior Member

I have 2 every other days mowings that I have had since 1992. I quit taking on any new ones that were not once a week 4 years ago. One of the better moves I have made in the biz. Its weekly or none for me.
  10. jajwrigh

jajwrigh LawnSite Bronze Member
    Male, from Martinsville, IN

I definately cut as I see fit! I know that my judgement will keep the yard looking good so I don't worry!