.10 Dimension vs .375 Barricade

Discussion in 'Pesticide & Herbicide Application' started by americanlawn, Jan 13, 2009.

1. americanlawn

americanlawn LawnSite Fanatic
    from midwest

Any preference/advantage/disadvantage? Any cost difference for this year?

We used Barricade in '08, and Dimension in '07. Seems Dimension is at a lower cost for '09.

rscvp, thanks

2. phasthound

phasthound LawnSite Platinum Member

Is cost your only criteria, what about performance? Which worked best for you?

3. JDUtah

JDUtah LawnSite Silver Member
    from UT

I think that is what he is asking about?

I say go with the Dimension. You didn't use it last year so the yearly rotation will also agree with IPM.

4. turf hokie

turf hokie LawnSite Silver Member

In our area I have changed away from .10 and gone with .15 due to crabgrass pressure in the area. We were not getting our full AI using split apps at the .10 Dimension.

Also, I have looked into Barricade but found that due to potential late starts due to weather, or rain slowing down our first round. We felt that it was in our best interest to not use Barricade due to it needing to be applied earlier than dimension.

We also have contracts that do not allow us to start until May 1 which is entirely too late for Barricade.

5. turf hokie

turf hokie LawnSite Silver Member

I thought you had already made your decision Larry. Having second thoughts on pulling the trigger?? We will make our decision by Friday...

6. RigglePLC

RigglePLC LawnSite Fanatic

Larry, it all depends on rates. Are you using the products as granular at 12,500 sqft per bag, (4 pounds per 1000)? If so the Barricade is at .66 lbs active ingredient per acre (opinion here) and it will last longer. At the above rate, (.17/acre)the post emergent property of the Dimension is insignificant. True, the Barricade is yellow and slightly messy.

7. DUSTYCEDAR

DUSTYCEDAR LawnSite Fanatic
    from PA

been using .15 dim splits so far so good

8. LawnTamer

LawnTamer LawnSite Gold Member

I have never had good success with Dimension. I get a lot of pressure from warm season weeds as well as crabgrass; spurge, purslane and oxalis are all a big issue for me. I just don't get good control from Dimension, and I don't get the length of control either. At higher rates I easily get 6-7 months out of Prodiamine (Barricade), but no where near that from Dimension.

9. RigglePLC

RigglePLC LawnSite Fanatic

Lawntamer,
    You are right. And I also hate spurge and oxalis. Although maybe its because I used Dimension last year. But on purslane--try the new carfentrazone or sulfentrazone products. Quicksilver, Dismiss, Speedzone or Surge--they really work as a spot spray on purslane. Turn purslane black in 8 hours.

10. PSUTURFGEEK

PSUTURFGEEK LawnSite Senior Member

Unless your'e planning on getting like 8,000 sq/bag out of that .10 you may as well just be putting down kitty litter, .10 in most parts of the country are a thing of the past. Split apps with .15 are pretty safe and as far as the barricade goes .37 compared to .10 dimension it's a no brainer unless you are planning on getting out to late and may then have some seeding issues.