1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

10% ethanol problems?

Discussion in 'Hustler Turf Equip (Archived)' started by DGDR, Mar 18, 2007.

1. DGDR

DGDR LawnSite Member

Here in New Jersey they've added 10% ethanol to our gas and I've heard that it can cause fuel system deterioration, at least in older equipment. On the net I've seen several opinions and they range from rebuild now to, at 10% ethanol the fuel is harmless. I talked to the folks at Briggs & Stratton about some of my equipment and they said that officially they approve of ethanol but that the formulations of gasoline are changing so fast that they can't keep up and they just don't know and that I should find a source of conventional gasoline, if I can. I imagine that it's the same situation at Kawasaki, which is causing some concerns about my "Z". And aside from the engine, what about the tanks and lines - will they eventually leak and need replacement? I imagine everyone has an opinion, but what I'm looking for are actual experiences especially from individuals living in the west, where gasahol has been used for years. Any fuel system problems like corroded soft metal or swollen rubber, leaks , etc., especially in older equipment and autos, for that matter, that have had considerable exposure to ethanol? When I purchased my Hustler Z a few years ago I figured, with care, it would be the last mower I'd ever buy. Now, when you gas up it's like feeding poison to an old friend.
  2. mowerconsultant

mowerconsultant LawnSite Fanatic
    Male, from Syracuse, NY

I am the wrong person to be asking, I will forward your questions / concerns to the people that would know and will see what they have to say.

3. Imow4u2

Imow4u2 LawnSite Senior Member

Can't tell you for sure as I see no equipment in your sig. I can tell you that the book I got with my last 25 Kawi stated a 10% was O.K.
  4. Inman's lawn care

Inman's lawn care LawnSite Member

I have been running 10% ethanol gas/fuel for over two years now and have not seen any major problems. As long as you do your PM like your suppose to.
    I have not seen any problems yet. I am sure mowerconsultant will get some good advice also.

Make sure you mix your oil/fuel correct on weed eaters and trimmers and blowers. Thats what concerns me the most.