10% Ethanol!!

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by grouselab, Apr 5, 2008.

1. grouselab

grouselab LawnSite Member

Well, Bad news in State of Washington.. By law starting April 7th that all Gas stations will contains up to 10% Ethanol.. And it will be nationwide too someday.. I Know that it give worst gas mileages and clogged up the fuel filters more often... What about 2 Cycles engines? I heard it can burn it up the machines.. What can we do to prevent that? add more oil to the gas tanks?

Thanks
    Darren

2. IN2MOWN

IN2MOWN LawnSite Platinum Member

the only reason it clogs filters is because it loosens up all the contaminents that regular gas leaves in your filter.

Its as simple as getting a new filter.

It does lower gas mileage slightly but it increases octane and burns cleaner.

From what I have read if a machine is running a carb it will be fine as long as some slight "tweaking" is done to the carb.

It's going to take a while to show the benefits but in the long run its better for the country.

BTW, plan on seeing lots of disagreements in this thread.

3. DA Quality Lawn & YS

DA Quality Lawn & YS LawnSite Fanatic

10% ethanol blend (E10) has been mandate here in MN for years. Absolutely no problems running this fuel and I highly doubt you would see more than a couple percent mileage difference. We are going to 20% mandate within a couple more years.

Ethanol tech. is constantly evolving, we've only begun and the process and product will continue to be refined. It is a good thing for this country, homegrown, whatever the feed source. What I am against, however, is foreign oil and people who hate us that we buy it from.

4. Lawn Enforcer

Lawn Enforcer LawnSite Silver Member

Yeah, exactly what he said. Minnesota has been like this for years. I just put SeaFoam in all my gas and it works great.

5. AI Inc

AI Inc LawnSite Fanatic

ethenol took the place of MTBE here about 5 yrs ago.

6. jaybird24

jaybird24 LawnSite Senior Member
    from midwest

Yep you can't stop it. If you don't like it buy diesel equipment and trucks.

7. grouselab

grouselab LawnSite Member

Never heard of Sea Foam.. What is that? and where can u buy that at?

Thanks

8. Bustus

Bustus LawnSite Member

Ever since I can remember we have had that amount in our gas here. It shouldn't affect you too much.

9. mverick

mverick LawnSite Senior Member

Here is the deal with ethanol.

Here in Illinois you have to have it. At least in large populated area's. I know last year I think or 2 years ago. I could still get gas without it in a small town about 60 miles away.

Gas with ethanol burns cleaner.

My truck with regular gas get's 320miles on a tank. With 10% ethanol it gets 280 miles per tank. So, your mileage loss is signifigant. You'll notice it.

So, you safe your emmisions. But, you have to burn more fuel to get the same distance.

How is that helping the enviroment? I don't know.

You have to burn almost double the amount of alcohol to get the same energy as gas. So, with 10 gallons of gas you get 1 gallon of ethanol. And lose half of the mileage on that one gallon.

But on my truck, it don't work out that way. It's a fuel injected 97 350. Filled it and ran it a week on both mixes. I was doing a lot of running there. And, that's what my mileage change was.

And, it's subsidized. It costs more to make but the government pay's for it. Ding, Ding.....

10. Lawn Enforcer

Lawn Enforcer LawnSite Silver Member

Advance Auto Parts has it, just Google it, you'll find more info there.