$10 for 2 hr. cleanup..get in argument with neighbor

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by QualityLawnCare4u, Sep 8, 2004.

1. QualityLawnCare4u

QualityLawnCare4u LawnSite Gold Member

Fellow lcos, this has been a great day. Went to first yard in high end area, spent 2 hours extra picking up limbs on a 1 hour 45$ yard.Customer hnds me check with "a lttle extra" for the limbs I told him he better get a little higher like about 50 more amd he refused. Six year once aweek customer is now history. I told him I would have been glad to knock 10 off of yard and let him pick up all the limbs.He has 2 yards I have done for 6 years and I did not flinch when I dropped him. I Knew this was coming, my lowlife, bottomfeeders, scumsucking customers would not want to pay extra for all this work. As I was leaving lady next door was picking up limbs and her yard looked like a war zone. Wanted to know if I would do it. I figured about 2.5 hours for 100 bucks and she like to shat. She told me that she never made a 100 a day in her life and I then done something I never done before, educate customer about how exp. this hobby is. She did not have a clue, all she could understand was the 100 bucks.I told her this aint the 1950s. SHE told me for a 100 bucks "it better be perfect" and how ticky she was. I told her if she is going to cry and piss and moan (Im not a nice guy like Ised to be) I would not do it. She told me to go ahead (RED FLAG WARNING) She told me she had a person that was tickled when she gave them 25 to do the yard (yard is over 3/4 acre with lots of trees) vacummed ever time but she let them use her mower. I asked her where was he today LOL Anyways atared cleanup, came out complaining I was not cutting low enough (I was on 2 inch) and wanted to go to one told her no. I had to empty accelerator over 30 times on front yard. 4 hours latter and losing my azz later I was beat. She complains about this an that for a 100 bucks and I said "lady, I would not touch this yard for 100 for what I just done it would be 200 if Ivan comes thru. She wanted me to give her price for eow and I politely told her I did not want her for a customer because at my price you would gripe and complain and cause me a lot of grief. Man that felt good, this whole area has been a pain for me,over 70 rich retired PITA. This storm may put me out biz but I am not picking up limbs for free after storm, even hired me a helper tomorow. Got one tommorow Im expecting to lose , a 200 buck account. Has 9 pecan trees and I hate to see it and customer is not going to want to pay.
    Anybody else had problems with customer not wanting to pay for cleanup?

Danny
    Quality Lawn Care

NC Scaper likes this.
  2. Fantasy Lawns

Fantasy Lawns LawnSite Bronze Member

we are running into sooo much storm damage clean up .... gotta be up front with the cost .... don't even pick up 1 limb without some sort of $$ in the thought process BEFORE it is all said n done

3. naturescaretaker

naturescaretaker LawnSite Senior Member

Every day it seems like. Down here at Myrtle Beach we have a lot of retired folks who think it is 1930. After the first couple of years you learn to say no. If we do it... it is with a written contract specific to yard clean ups for the retired folks. The font type is extra large and in color. Even with all this, taking an extra time to explain everything to them, we still have the problem. Just not as much.

4. QualityLawnCare4u

Steve, I told him up front that the charge would be between 40-70, depending on time involved, I guess he thoght I was kidding.
    Danny

5. Fantasy Lawns

I here ya ... some people ... maybe most people are stone blind

It never seizes to amaze me when a customer .... does not give us the credit of our work n what we value OUR time as

6. Cutit

Cutit LawnSite Member
    from orlando

Out of Orlando here and been making money on my accounts from the storm
    I have contracts for even residential customers. States right in there Excessive amounts of debris as a result of a Hurricane, Or other act of nature billed as time and material.

7. QualityLawnCare4u

yard I am doing tommorow is a rental deplex, I zam going to have owner sign agreement before I even drop gate, I know what is going to happen though,

8. Fantasy Lawns

OOHH Absolutely .... in our "Legal Statement"

FANTASY LAWNS INC. is NOT responsible for delays caused by acts of God or events beyond its control, vandalism or improper operations of systems not under our maintenance (Irrigation).
    Storm Damages and debris from acts of God (drought, hurricanes, heavy winds, tornadoes, freezes and other acts of nature) are not the responsibility of FANTASY LAWNS INC. An option, at extra charges, other than the designated monthly bill due to clean-ups, can be determined and given a written estimate to the customer. If the customer does not wish to pay these extra charges as described in the paragraph, owners may remove the debris themselves BEFORE the next service visit. Excessive litter or debris (Palm Fronds) MUST BE PICKED UP BEFORE SERICE MAY CONTINUE.

9. QualityLawnCare4u

Thanks Steve, I am fixing to use this statement (minus a few things) for my customers, Will have it ready for them tommeorw. dont think Ill have a problrem the the palm things though, no one here would probably know what they are.

Danny

10. Four Season's

Four Season's LawnSite Member
    from Maine

hardworking-poor man-

I noticed you own a cyclone rake. I bought one a couple years ago and its made fall clean up a breeze. how do you like yours?