10 hp Kohler engine

Discussion in 'Mechanic and Repair' started by crownbus, Aug 29, 2006.

1. crownbus

crownbus LawnSite Member

Hey All,
    I have a ten horse engine that I'm fixing up.Can someone tell me if the valves have interference angles or can I lap the seats? Thanks in advance

2. Restrorob

Restrorob LawnSite Fanatic

First off, Welcome to LawnSite.

The valves and seats are both ground at a 45 degree angle so yes you can lap them in with no problem.

3. crownbus

crownbus LawnSite Member

WOW, that was quick.Might have a few more questions as I get this engine running. Thanks very much Restrorob.

4. Restrorob

Anytime, This is my second home. :laugh:

5. crownbus

crownbus LawnSite Member

Hey Restrorob,
    I'm trying to trace my no spark problem. There is a sealed block on the flywheel side of the engine that has three terminals on it. It has a couple of "fins" if you will. What is it and does it go bad very often, can it be tested with a multimeter and do you think the coil is a more probable place to expect a problem

6. Restrorob

That sounds like the voltage regulator you discribed, How about some model and spec. numbers so I can take a closer look at what you have there.

7. crownbus

crownbus LawnSite Member

It is a K241S Spec 46767 I think you are right as it has the three terminals I havent changed any wireing so I don't think I have a wireing problem. Can't tell you how good it is to have your expertise available

8. Restrorob

OK, This may sound like a stupid question but they built 1,210 variations of this engine and your spec. came with both battery type ignition and magneto type. So Which do you have on yours ? The battery system will have a car type coil mounted on the flywheel cover.

9. crownbus

crownbus LawnSite Member

Restrorob, your the best. I didn't know if I had a mag or I needed a battery and you just answered the question. I have a coil on the flywheel cover so I'll hook up the battery and then see if she runs.I'll tell you how I make out.Thank you VERY much.

10. crownbus

crownbus LawnSite Member

Hey Restrorob,
    To cool, hooked up the battery away she went.Took the carb off, cleaned out the rust and the water put it back on and she ran fairly well. Do you know if there is a site that can give me the theory of operation of the governor and how to tune the carb? I am convinced you could do it but I feel if I could download the info I could save you a lot of time. As always THANK YOU very much.