Separate names with a comma.
Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .
Discussion in 'General Industry Discussions' started by elitelawnteam1, May 17, 2012.
Curious to how much extra you charge to provide that?
he said it was included in his price. only thing is that if you gave everyone a full maintenance price instead of what they only want (mowing) ur not going to get many accts since the price will be "too high"
not everyone wants full service, but, you don't want to be working for bad customers either. weed 'em out!!
They want it, they do not want to pay for it.
And if you threaten me with that garbage of your calling someone else one more time I'm going to take you up on your offer!
9. The lawn "furniture" isn't helping either, especially that wrought iron steel with a glass top table!
Omg I hear that almost EVERY single day!
Can you cut it shorter, can you cut it lower, can you drop your blades?
You know what, I hear that so much the simple answer is No sir/madam, no I can not!
I said that to someone the other day, they were so put off by that I almost regretted it because now I think I'm going to lose this customer but then...
What I'm hearing is "I'm too cheap so I want you to RUIN my lawn (or what is left of it because I am already too cheap) and I hope you are not new in the business thinking you'll get me in the fall with overseeding because believe me I will talk you up a storm of promises of what I'm going to do but in reality I don't plan on spending a DIME above and beyond what I most absolutely HAVE to spend because I am convinced that it will be even CHEAPER to maintain once it is completely F'd Up, matter of fact I so HATE spending any money on this yard that I am now hiring YOU to F it up"
That is what I am hearing when they say that "Can you cut it lower."
Why's my lawn look like $h!t?
1) No I really don't think it was a good idea to raise everyone one your sprinkler heads up so they are 2 inches about the ground.
2) I really hope sooner later than later you will stop watering 8 hours a day. I really don't like mowing moss and just because its green don't mean it looks good.
3) Why do you spend thousands of dollars on new landscaping and have the guy that couldn't cut your grass right install it.
4) If you would stop being a cheap ass and go to full service you would have a nice lawn.
5) Please move the broke tractor off the sidewalk. Its the only way I can get into the front yard and I really don't like move a bunch of rock every week. It would be nice if your step daughter would come out an sunbath in its place tho.
6) Yes that small gate made your yard double in price.
7) I know I told you about the dog bitting me incident, but what I didn't tell you is that the only reason fido wasn't shot is after I hit him with the trimmer he ran like a scared little b**ch.
8) Your yard really looks like sh*t and I would porbaly drop you, but since you never water I can go 6 weeks between cutting I really do make a lot of money off you so thats why your still around.
9) You asked about a warente on plants I'm going to install, but for you that won't exist seeing how I intalled grass seed in 2 months ago and it has never seen a drop of water.
10) I really hate that you put in a fence it screws up my time and yes it will cost more.
Here's my biggest one, but 50% of the time I tell the customer this anyways.
1.) Yes I'm 25% more than the other estimate. Why?, Because we don't skimp on the details and I'll probably still profit the same money the low-baller was going to make. Those details add up with labor and material. We don't need to bid low and skimp on the details in order to get your business, We're not hard up for the work and I want my projects to last. You can go with the lowest bid, but my estimate will go up 50% after I have to fix what the previous guy messed up.
2.) Little do most of my clients know the minor details that we do when doing any job. Reset a small section of edging here, clean out downspouts if clogged, kill a weed tree here and there that has been cut off to the ground for 5 years or more, re-set a brick here, spray a little there........
How 'bout... Maybe you should go down to Home Depot, buy a push mower, and once a week get off you fat lazy butt and mow your own grass.
no pulling weeds is NOT part of your $20 40 minute lawn.
yes you can afford that hour of labor with your pocket change
yes i gave you a discount on the labor to start with
no it was not "wrong" for me to charge you for the time i spent working.
again, yes i will always charge you for work you ask to be done.
1 Round up is my friend
2 I know how to spell bad words with it
3 I know where you live
I've actually seen something like this happen.