1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

10 year clean up / dividing lilys ?

Discussion in 'Water Features' started by Az Gardener, Apr 29, 2006.

1. Az Gardener

Az Gardener LawnSite Gold Member

OK the pond is almost clean. I am dividing and re potting about 150 new Lily's (my best guess) I have cleaned them up with water and a scrub brush and divide them into categories for planting; small eyes-big eyes-multiple eyes-eyes on rhizomes-large buds and small buds. Yes I'm anal, goes without saying.

I call the end of the rhizome that was the leaves and blooms the bud, if it has another term please let me know.

Some of the buds have a white film, it wont scrub off and I am concerned about it contaminating the other plants and killing the ones its on. Is there some kind of dunk or soak that I should do prior to re potting to be sure they are disease free. This pond that they came out of was a mess over 200 man hours to clean it up, probably plenty of funky pathogens.
  2. sheshovel

sheshovel LawnSite Fanatic

Can you get a pic of those buds with the white film on them for me Az?
  3. Az Gardener

Az Gardener LawnSite Gold Member

Yes but probably not until Sunday pm, we are about to leave on an overnight camping trip. I just finished counting the buds 109, plus about 20 rhizomes with eyes, and probably 300+ eyes, have not counted them yet. The family is on me to get a move on. They are all soaking in clean water now, the Lilys I mean. I have never done this before so I would welcome any suggestions. I think I will pick up a book too.