1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

$100.00 Per Cut

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Turtle II, Jan 25, 2003.

1. Turtle II

Turtle II LawnSite Member

What size residential account would pay 100 bucks per cut and how much time would you spend there???

What size commericial account would bring 100 per cut and how much time would you spend there???

Man----I have planned, worked on contracts, pondered sales and work stragities, etc.....

Now I am getting ready to spend over ten grand and its really making me think twice about everything...........

If some of you seasoned pros could take a minute and give me a rough
    "guess-timate" on the size of the property & how long it would take you at the site to bill 100 dollars, I would appericate any info., help, advice......

Turtle II
    Eastern, NC

PS---I know it doesent happen over nite, I'm just hoping to land one or two at this rate.......
    PSS---sorry if this sounds "scrub-issh"
  2. stevo22

stevo22 LawnSite Senior Member

1.5-2 acres..better to get three to four 45-55 dollar yards close to each other..drop the gate pop 90-110, go over a few streets do it again..
  3. geogunn

geogunn LawnSite Gold Member
    from TN

turtle 2--I am not sure that I can answer your question like you want.

however, to the point of your question, I have many $100 cuts.

and the average time for each of these is well under three hours.

and one way to get them is to bid high on a really crappy job. but the seond or third time you are there, the thing looks pretty good. then you are making money to do it, then then you are the H outta there! do you get my point! good luck!

4. I agree with Stevo and Geogunn. You can get yards like that, the thing is, do you really want them? Don't count the first few times you do a yard like that (learning curve), but if I couldn't get it done in 2.5 man-hours or less, then I'd think I don't have the right equipment (aka, out of my league).

If you can get smaller yards grouped together that are willing to be done concurrently, you'll make more per hour. Get enough of those smaller yards (although a $50 lawn isn't small), and you wouldn't need to spend the money on large equipment. Then after a while, with money in the bank, $10k for more equipment to compete for $100 lawns doesn't give you second thoughts.

I have a few of those $100-$150 lawns and have grown very particular about getting anymore of them. Its just easier to knock out three $40 lawns in two hours.
  5. Barkleymut

Barkleymut LawnSite Bronze Member

I need to make a buck a minute to keep a good profit margin. On very large properties (that take 4 or more hours) I will lower that number to $50-55/hour. This is per employee.
  6. xpnd

xpnd LawnSite Senior Member

Simple, those that would pay that much would be the ones where the total KSFT of turf times my rate per KSFT would equal that much. I do not adhere to the age old belief that you discount large residentials or work commercial for peanuts because you won't get the job, you save money because the truck doesn't move, or you can do it quicker because you have a larger deck or some other equally stupid idea that causes LCOs to work for less than they should. KSFT worked is KSFT worked. Doesn't matter to me if it is on one job or multiples and a bigger machine is a larger upfront investment and more expensive to maintain. The advantages of having a KSFT with a minimum is that everyone is charged the same but more importantly when your customers who also may happen to be co workers/good friends find out they are using you and prices are significantly different for similiar amounts of work the phone doesn't ring in the evening asking you to justify pricing. Talk about a death blow to a business. The more expensive customer will make it a point to tell everyone he knows and doesn't know about the situation. Unless you can apply specific numbers to the cost of every task (including all your overhead), then obtaining an acceptable profit margin on every job will be impossible and you'll always have to remember too many lies at night when you go to sleep. 10% of your client base will always account for 90% or more of your losses.
  7. bob

bob LawnSite Platinum Member
    from DE

$100 lawn for me would be around 2 man hours. This is usually what it would take on the first cut. But after 3 or 4 cuts you learn to be more efficient and the time wil drop some.
  8. Bunton Guy

Bunton Guy LawnSite Bronze Member

Turtle I do several $100.00 per cut properties bad thing is they dont get done every week and thats why they are 100 bucks. Both of the properties that I do every other week are 2.5 acres with a good bit of trimming and will take 1.3 hours each to do. I have a 5 Acre property that is $230.00 per cut and that takes 6 hours to do because of the trimming & edging.
  9. Bunton Guy

Bunton Guy LawnSite Bronze Member

Im sure someone here is ready to say this but its better to have 6 $50.00 a cut lawns than 3 $100.00 per cut lawns you can base the purchase of a mower on having these accounts but if you loose one of those 3 $100 a cut lawns your luck is in the shitter. Now if you loose 1 of the $50.00 a cut lawns all you have to do is go to the remaining 5 and try to upsell some other services every week untill you can regain another account.
  10. AGG Lawn Maintenance

AGG Lawn Maintenance LawnSite Senior Member
    from Elberon

It all depends on what the market will allow in your area. In mine you won't get that on too many homes. But as far as Apartment complexs, Condos etc you can get $100.00 a cut on up. Just make sure you have all the insurance you need. Travis