1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

100 accounts

Discussion in 'Starting a Lawn Care Business' started by GOTLAWN, Feb 8, 2007.

GOTLAWN LawnSite Member

Great board, been browsing for a while.

Been talking with my neighbor for a while about starting something - he's in the biz. He tells me last night that he knows someone that is getting out of the biz and is giving up 100 accounts - has paperwork to show gross of 3k per week during the on season. 50/50 split on every week, every other week.

Not really sure what my question is, just trying to get some opinions on the situation. Is it worth it to jump in with both feet?

2. Mr Priceless

Mr Priceless LawnSite Senior Member

giving up as in just simply telling you "here, these are the accounts i want you to use for your benefits"?

heck, i'd jump fast on that offer

GOTLAWN LawnSite Member

Yes, like here ...if you don't take them...the customers will be mad in a couple weeks when their grass is long and nobody to cut it...

All in all, it will probably be about a month before he is done, so I have some time to prepare.

Not sure of the whole story, but he sold everything and bought a boat for travel...
  4. Mr Priceless

Mr Priceless LawnSite Senior Member

i don't see a prob with it at all. does he have contracts on all those accounts already?

GOTLAWN LawnSite Member

not sure about contracts. I'm meeting with him tonight and will get more answers. We'll see how it goes...
  6. J&R Landscaping

J&R Landscaping LawnSite Fanatic

Sounds like a good offer!! Why is the current LCO getting out?
  7. GreenN'Clean

GreenN'Clean LawnSite Bronze Member

So the guy is giving the accounts to you for free or is he selling the accounts?
  8. Clear-Cut

Clear-Cut LawnSite Senior Member

i would work with him until he officially hands the biz over..you can get some tips on how things are run and everything
  9. prizeprop

prizeprop LawnSite Senior Member

If there free jump on it!! I would work out some kind of paperwork for him to sign stating that, he is turning over all accounts to you at no charge and he has no expectations of payment to him in anyway as far as % of profits. Along those lines. Also ,consider notifying customers of the transfer so you dont run into problems?

GOTLAWN LawnSite Member

Yup, from what I gather they are FREE. Good call on getting something in writting that he is not expecting anything once the transfer take place.

Not sure why he is getting out of, except that he is older and bought a boat for travel.