100 acre cemetery

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by olebrooklawn, Jan 28, 2014.

1. 2 Cycle

2 Cycle LawnSite Senior Member

On second thought a wheeled trimmer might be too aggressive in there but my thought would be someone walking along and macro trimming larger stones and areas to help the guys behind with hand trimmers but it might be more hassle than its worth and dangerous. However, a few redmax reciprocators would be nice as trimmers in frequented areas as they do not throw debris

2. ANA Proscapes

ANA Proscapes LawnSite Member
    from NH

I would not use reciprocators at all in a cemetery! Metal blades on headstones equals lots of money in damaged stones. Stick with hand held string trimmers. Much faster and more versitile than a push trimmer.

As far as mower size goes. You siad something about it being a old civil war cemetery? The biggest I would use is 52" hydro walkbehinds. You need to have lighter mowers for a old cemetery like that. Plus you want a mower that will be able to mow everywhere in the cemetery not just a few spots. You don't relies how big a mower is till you mow a cemetery. I have years of experience in mowing cemeteries. Good luck with the bid.
    Posted via Mobile Device

3. I'd have 60" or 66" rear discharge decks.

4. ANA Proscapes

from NH

If you post a pic of the cemetery it would be easer for use to make suggestions.
    Posted via Mobile Device

5. olebrooklawn

olebrooklawn LawnSite Member

I'm going next Tuesday to lay eyes on it. Talk to my friend today that has work on tomb stones over there before. He said it's all one big hill. I figure by the time I get it weedeated it will be time to start over again. Plan on 5 guys working 5 days. Picture to come soon
    Posted via Mobile Device

6. ANA Proscapes

from NH

Sounds like all walkbehinds too me. We do a 50 acre cemetery with 3 guys in 3 days mowed and trimmed. All hilly and old sections. 5 guys, 5 days sounds about rite depending on the terrain.
    Posted via Mobile Device

7. PenningsLandscaping

PenningsLandscaping LawnSite Bronze Member

Is cemetery mowing good money? It would have to be if you have 5 guys just doing this property, increasing your payroll by 7-10 grand a month.

8. ANA Proscapes

from NH

It can be. Most people are scared away from doing them because of all the trimming. How ever, a job of this size can make you or break you if not priced rite. It's all in how fast you can get in and out of a cemetery. Efficiency is key.
    Posted via Mobile Device

9. Collegepro

Collegepro LawnSite Senior Member

We do a 22 acre cemetery with trees, curbs and and huge ditch and it takes 3 guys 1 day to a 1 1/2 days. We use 2 60 inch john deere 930s, and fs 90 trimmers. Im sure this is not much help, but it all just depends on how the lay out is and like the other guys have said before need to really think this through and see whats the most effcient

10. LandFakers

LandFakers LawnSite Fanatic
    from CT

Wont really know until you measure it really. My buddy does a cemetery and he bought 3 44" exmark Z's just to do these properties. Don't know the acreage hes doing but I know its 1.5 days of mowing and its pretty frickin big.