100% American made equipment?

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Green Pastures, Sep 18, 2008.

1. Green Pastures

Green Pastures LawnSite Silver Member

In light of recent ecinomic disasters...

In light of us being in debt to China for billions of dollars....

I'd like to put my money where my mouth is and buy ONLY 100% American made equipment for my busisness.

I'm using Exmark, Toro and Walker mowers so good there.

However most of my hand tools are Stihl products, assembled and partly manufactured close to me in Virginia Beach Virginia. I believe that they are a German company though. Let's not get into a discussion on that though I could be wrong about German made.

I want to know if there are stick edgers, line trimmers, blowers, stick hedge trimmers etc. that are 100% made in America.

What brands are available?

I'm in Hampton Virginia.

2. JimQ

JimQ LawnSite Bronze Member

I agree with what you're saying and think what you're trying to do is the right thing, however, what is your definition of 100% American made? Assembled in America? Profit stays in America?

eXmark, Toro, Walker - There a many parts sourced from China, India, and other Low Cost Countries (LCCs) in there.

It's going to be tough to find anything these days that's 100% American made.

3. TheLawnBarber

TheLawnBarber LawnSite Senior Member

Think about Toro and Exmark. 75% of their engine options are Kawasaki's made in Japan. Walk-behinds are now 100% Kawasaki.

4. larryinalabama

larryinalabama LawnSite Fanatic

100% Made in USA impossible

5. mississippiturf

mississippiturf LawnSite Senior Member

I agree with JimQ. Its easy to sit back and blame WalMart, NAFTA, Congress, etc. on the downfall of this country but we, as the buyers, have become so conditioned to "find a bargin" that we are the ones to blame. We have become a nation not willing to pay fifty bucks for a "made in America" dress shirt as long as we can get one "made in Indonesia" for twenty. Its dosen't stop with clothes, its everything we buy from clothes, to groceries, and automobiles.

While it honorable to take the "buy only America" stance, its like closing the gate after the cows are out! We are a nation that has become too dependant on foreign labor and foreign investors to make any difference. We have shot ourselves in the foot and have waited to late to seek treatment for the wound.

6. TomberLawn

TomberLawn LawnSite Bronze Member

Even John Deere fuel filters are made in Israel. I agree, it is probably impossible to find any equipment that is 100% American engineered, manufactured, assembled, and owned. I've heard there are more Toyotas made in America than GMs. So if you buy a Toyota, you're supporting American jobs and Japanese owners, but there are probably a lot of Americans who own stock in Toyota. If you buy a GM, you are supporting Mexican jobs and American owners, but there are probably a lot of foreign investors who own GM stock. Only a family owned type of business could be 100% American, but even then, it would be very hard to either make every component in house or find a 100% American supplier.

I like American made products, but it's just not feasible to buy 100% American made goods. As labor-saving technology improves, you might see more American made stuff, but even then, it takes human labor to operate machines and computers, so that could be outsourced as well.

7. Green Pastures

WRONG.

There are government contracts which specify only 100% American made products.

Somebody makes something somewhere.

8. Green Pastures

OK....

Lots of good posts here.

Maybe I was a bit overzealous.

I'm looking for products that are 100% American made.

But if something was 95% made in America I'd like to hear about it.

I can tell you I do not want to buy something with a brand name like Kawasaki or Toyota though.

Who owns Echo? Isn't Echo an American owned company?

9. mississippiturf

mississippiturf LawnSite Senior Member

10. capetan

capetan LawnSite Member

haaahahah....... its assembled here and thats were it stops......