100 bucks, my A**!!!

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by WJW Lawn, Dec 12, 2006.

1. WJW Lawn

WJW Lawn LawnSite Bronze Member

I know you've heard it a BILLION times, but lowballers make it real hard on us legit guys. I recently went to meet with a potential customer...he needed all leaves blown to his curb for city pickup, on a 1/2 acre lot. This would have been the FIRST clearing of the season, and the trees were abundant!! Also the foundation and garden beds were full of leaves. He needed 15-20 bushes trimmed and shaped--because it had been a year or so. He also had 2 small sapplings he wanted down and needed the monkey grass trimmed all around the house. Im solo...so I would do this job myself. I quoted somewhere in the $400 range...and the guy FREAKED OUT!!! Said he had a guy that would do it for $100. I told him to call that guy...because it's a joke to think I would do a job like that for 100...with taxes and insurance and equipment...and OH...maybe I'd like to feed my family in the process! This guy totally looked at me like I was OUT OF MY MIND to even consider charging that. And it just pissed me off, because what do these people think??? That we do this for a little extra cash?? Then I realized, it's really the fault of the guy that would spend all day out there for 100 bucks! What a damn joke! Not only was I mad to have this guy wate my time...I was truely insulted...and I think he knew it.

2. MDLawnman

MDLawnman LawnSite Member

I bet he calls you back. He's just trying to get you to lower your price.

3. John Gamba

John Gamba LawnSite Fanatic
    from ct

I bet hes tried to get it lower then 100. I dont think he will call back but let us know.

4. lawnspecialties

lawnspecialties LawnSite Silver Member

We've all seen it before one time or another. Some dude who drinks his supper (think about it) and looks at that opportunity as a "big break". He'll do the job halfway decent and then heads off to the ABC store.

5. d&rlawncare

d&rlawncare LawnSite Senior Member

Sounds like the Apt complex I quoted $975 for and the manager told me she had a bid for $155.00 That was about a month ago. Guess what... Leaves are still there and the place looks like trash! Maybe she thinks they will vanish into then air over the winter.

6. topsites

topsites LawnSite Fanatic

If I got a dollar every time I run into someone who wants something for nothing, I wouldn't even have to get out of bed in the mornings :laugh:

7. WJW Lawn

WJW Lawn LawnSite Bronze Member

I'll keep you guys updated, but I gave him a card and said call me if it doesn't work out lol. I'll take a look at it in a couple weeks and see what happens. The owner told me that this guy would suck em up with his riding mower...which should be interesting since its a VERY natural yard with a huge front and back foundation bed. Oh and the back is gated with a 40" opening at best! For 100 bucks...it will look like crap. The funny thing is, the owner wants to rent the property out, and said "I want a real polished look" HAHAHAHA For 100 bucks!!!

8. daveintoledo

daveintoledo LawnSite Silver Member

and that is probably to your benifit in the long run....

this is the only real down fall to this business, part timers bidding nothing thinking they have already payed for there equipment, and that is all they need to make a profit....

just have to bite the old tongue and move on..you will get better offers anyway....

9. jrc lawncare

jrc lawncare LawnSite Senior Member

Unbelievable. I know we all run into these types. I must truly be blessed, As most of the people we work for know we have costs to cover, & question nothing. one of my high-end account owners told me to make sure I charge enough, as he thought the last contractor didn;t charge enough.:) :)

10. DaughtryLC

DaughtryLC LawnSite Senior Member

Sounds like another nut too me!! Always something for nothing??!!:dizzy: