100 customer mark

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by JRSlawn, Aug 4, 2004.

1. JRSlawn

JRSlawn LawnSite Senior Member

This year I have 25 faitful customers my equipment includes lazer hp 52 metro 48 16ft landscape trailer 95 chevy 2500 easy dumper and tons of other toys. But my question is how hard is it going to be getting 75 new customers. What can I do to pick up this large ammount of customer?

Thanks
    Jeff Smith
    JRS Lawn & Landscape

2. RedWingsDet

RedWingsDet LawnSite Gold Member
    from Detroit

do good work, be on time, same time, everyweek (weather permiting) and you will get at least 50 from referals, and that new 50 will even refer you more and more, REFERALS work AWSOME, plus put ads in the paper and flyers, just to get your name out there. Letter your truck also, and get a uniform with printed shirts.

i have all of that, and its my first year.... i started out wth 6 customers, i now have around 48, but only cut between 30-45 each week because lack of rain. but REFERALS are AWSOME, i have one customer who has refered me to 12 of her freinds and has gotten me those accounts.

3. JRSlawn

Thanks,
    I already have my truck lettered as well as shirts made up with our logo. I got all of my work now from referals and I know referals are great.

Thanks Primer

Jeff Smith
    JRS Lawn & Landscape

4. dvmcmrhp52

dvmcmrhp52 LawnSite Platinum Member
    from Pa.

Continue servicing your existing customers well and in about 2 years you may get there as long as your quality and reliability and market pricing are all in line.

We don't advertise other than very targeted fliers............
    Our growth is 95% word of mouth and we are refusing work regularly.

This may not work for everyone, but it has been working for us.
    Good luck to you.

5. kris

kris LawnSite Bronze Member
    from nowhere

Tell me more..... now I have no problem telling people, "no we are not interested "(not those exact words) but when it comes down to customers wanting regular weekly maintenance I hate to turn them away ....how else do you grow? Or are you happy being a certain size?

We have a small maintenance division consisting of 3, 2-man crews....the 3rd crew has time on thurs, friday and the saturdays we work (every other) to do small installs (1-5k range.)All 3 crews are available on the saturdays we do work. I really hate to book that 3rd crew up with regular maintenance but its happening... just made the decision to hire more for those small jobs. We do have the luxury of using extra people almost anytime on one of the construction crews.

So what do you do? Book up for the season and then thats it?

6. JRSlawn

Kris how many weekly accounts do you have to keep 3 crews busy?

7. dvmcmrhp52

dvmcmrhp52 LawnSite Platinum Member
    from Pa.

No Kris, We continue to grow in the maintenance area throughout the year.
    The work we turn away is nonrecurring or of little profitability without a longer term commitment ...........re: year round maintenance.
    We basically turn away those that are not interested in a long term commitment.

8. kris

kris LawnSite Bronze Member
    from nowhere

Okay Dave... sounds like us.

JRS ... I havent counted lately... like I said its really 2.5 crews on regular maintenance ..other half week is small jobs for that 3rd crew.

Probably somewhere around 50 regular sites....only 4 of those are residential..... one site alone is 160 man-hrs per month.

9. benb0808

benb0808 LawnSite Member

Yard signs, at busy intersections, weekends in march, april and may

10. J&LOwner

J&LOwner LawnSite Member

I started in this business Jan. 1 of this year. I have 62 customers. I advertised in targeted neighborhoods, roughly distributed 5000 flyers/ brochures/ postcards. They key is to be prompt in returning phone calls and being prompt in doing the estimate. Also follow up with the estimate w/in 24 hrs. Personal service is essential as well. Look professional, act professional, and back your words and looks up with a professional quality work.

I don't lowball. I would say that the 12 customers that didn't go with my service were looking for a lowballer. That is why they are not with me. Better believe that I will be following up with them next Jan. to see if they were happy with their lawn care. If not, they may be apt to go with me next year, and be willing to pay a higher price for better service.

I would also say that I have gotten about 5 or 6 customers from other neighbors that have seen my work. My goal is to have around 125 customers by this time next year. Ultimate goal is to have 300 total customers. Good luck!