100+ customers?

Discussion in 'Pesticide & Herbicide Application' started by JBlawn, Oct 23, 2009.

1. JBlawn

JBlawn LawnSite Member
    from ohio

ok i have just got the results back from my test and passed:) i have been doing landscaping and mowing for 4 years and want to start consitrating on fertilizing and the landscaping part.. i was wondering how long after you guys started did it take you to reach 100+ customers and what kind of andvertising you did?? i should be able to obtain 20 of my mowing customers and 7 cemetarys that we take care of... i was planning on sending out 2500-5000 post cards. newspaper advertising..
  2. sedge

sedge LawnSite Fanatic

no good. door hangers and lots of them
  3. JBlawn

JBlawn LawnSite Member
    from ohio

so post cards dont work as good?
  4. milsaps118

milsaps118 LawnSite Senior Member

IMHO postcards and direct mail SUCK. I have done it the last 3 seasons and will never spend that kind of money on advertising again. The response rate was low and the closing rate was even lower.

I have never tried door-to-door hangers, but have heard good things about it from others here.

Good luck.
  5. RigglePLC

RigglePLC LawnSite Fanatic

I agree with Milsap, The Cloverleaf Plan is good. You drop a brochure at the house to the left of your customer... and the right... and the two neighbors across the street. Or get your kid or a highschooler to do this. You spray the lawn. They distribute brochures on that street. Five minutes up the street--and five minutes coming back on the other side of the street. On the the next customer. Five dollars extra if he convinces someone to accept a lawn analysis and price quotation.
  6. rcreech

rcreech Sponsor
    Male, from OHIO

Clover leafing does work...but I have also had excellent success with post cards.

It takes some good timing (spring), know WHO you are trying to target and you are good to go.

It takes a lot of them...but if you can get 1-2+% that is awesome!

The first year I sent out post cards if I remember correctly I think I spend 4K and got a total of 16K worth of work. I will just tell you that I did it the next year and still got an awesome response.

You would just have to try it and see! Marketing is only as good as you do it!
    If you give it all you got you will make it just fine.
  7. JBlawn

JBlawn LawnSite Member
    from ohio

thanks for the replyies ill deffinatly do the cloverleaf plan that seems like it would work.. now do you do that after each application or just the first one in the spring? im going to do 2500 post cards and see how it works... door hangers are cheap but what is the best way of getting them out other than walking for hours? is there a company i looked in the yellow pages and didnt find anyone...
  8. JBlawn

JBlawn LawnSite Member
    from ohio

how many did you mail out and how many costomers did you obtain?

9. rcreech

rcreech Sponsor
    Male, from OHIO

I sent out around 4K if I remember correctly and I think I got around 50-60 new customers.

A typical response for post cards is about 1-2% or so from what I have picked up from reading and my short experience. There are just so many factors that play into it.

I didn't get a great amount of customer for the amount of cards, but I got a great ROI and still have many of those customers from my post card campaigns.

Even if you don't get a "great response" I also looked at it as BRANDING my name.

Works for some and not for others I am sure.

A lot of it is good timing and some is just plum luck I am sure.

You want the weather to just be turning nice when it hits. If you schedule ahead and they hit during a big snow I think you would be screwed!
  10. Josh.S

Josh.S LawnSite Bronze Member

I got over 100 my first year. This was due to an acquisition and door to door sales.

The average sell through for post cards in our industry is .4%. Note that I said sell through rate and not response rate.

Pound the doors, and don't waist your money on newspaper or yellowpages is my opinion.