100 degrees ,50% humidity & grass growing like crazy!

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Mowingman, Jul 15, 2001.

1. Mowingman

Mowingman LawnSite Platinum Member
    from Texas

I just wondered how the working conditions are (weatherwise) in some of the other parts of the country now that summer has set in. This is a strange summer here in north Texas. We are used to 100 degree+ temps here in the summer, but usually the humidity is low. This month we are hitting the upper ninetys and low 100's as usual, but our humidity is staying around 50%. This sure is making for some severe working conditions. Another strange thing is that usually the grass almost quits growing this time of year, even with irrigation. This year, it is growing like crazy, even with the 100 degree temps. I guess the high humidity is giving it a boost. Forecast is for more of same. Looks like we are in for a tough July and maybe August.:blob2:

2. 1MajorTom

1MajorTom Senior Moderator

Weather here has been good. Good rains in the evening/weekends to keep the grass growing.
    Just watched the news tonight, and we're supposed to get more rain Tuesday, Wednesday and Thursday.

Last week was great to work. No humidity. Just nice sunny days with the temp averaging in the 70's.

This year is going good. :)

3. Eric ELM

Eric ELM Husband, Father, Friend, Angel

50% humidity is not high. We consider that low here. Maybe the dew point is high there, that will affect how hot it seems more than humidity. We are having the worst dry spell in years here. :(

We have had 1/4" of rain in the past month, but we have a chance of rain Tuesday, Wednesday, and Thursday. I sure hope the weather guessers are right.

4. tralfaz

tralfaz LawnSite Member

Here in Nashville, Tn the first part of last week was in the lower 90's w/ heat index of around 105. The rest of it was upper 80's with less humidity and a good breeze. We had a lot of rain here around the Fourth but now things are starting to get dry.

5. Mowingman

Mowingman LawnSite Platinum Member
    from Texas

Eric,
    Yes ,the dew point is high. It is staying above 70 mostly. Our heat index wes 110 on friday. Hope your drought doesn't last too long.Last year we had 3 months with no rain and about 42 days that it was 100 or higher during the drought.

6. GreenQuest Lawn

GreenQuest Lawn LawnSite Senior Member

I think the Mi summers are great (especially near Lake Mi). The temps have been from 75-85 and nights from 45-60. The humidity can get bad but we are usually 5-10 deg. cooler than inland.

We do need rain though. We are in the same boat as Eric & others in this area. No rain in 3 weeks, & .10 in the last 4.

We have had a weird summer also after the wettest May ever The rains just stopped and then on July 2 we had scattered frost. That night we set a rcord for the coldest temp.

On the bright side here in my town we rarly hit 90 Mabey 1-2 times a year.

7. joshua

joshua LawnSite Bronze Member

the weather has been great here so far this year, its looking like i'm gunna get another year just like last where i cut alomst every week during summer. we keep getting big rains and great storms to keep the grass growing and green. like jodi said rain all week for me. hope i can get everything cut by friday so i can get to the expo early friday evening.

8. roscioli

roscioli LawnSite Senior Member

massachusetts- very unseasonable weather to say the least. its been hot, then cool, off and on every week it seems. all this past week has been nice and cool, some nice breezes, afternoon clouds, some light showers. it just started raining now, 1am, seems to be a light one. We havent stopped growing yet. The crap area in my back yard that usually dies in late june is still green as ever, as are all customer's lawns. Some days are hot, but not really unbearable, and all the nights have been cool or cold. Not really a new england summer for us, but i am enjoying it,, no contracts for me means more money than last summer with weekly cuts....

sorry, i am tired, this makes no sense

9. cp

cp LawnSite Senior Member

We're dry here in Virginia. Had a little drought in Spring but recovered nicely and got the rain from a tropical storm but hasn't rained here to talk about in over 3 weeks. Maybe get some this week, need it bad.

10. BIG RON

BIG RON LawnSite Member
    from S.W. MO

Mowing conditions here in SW, MO. have been very strang this year to say the least. We started of in March and April with no rain and mowing conditions like you would find in July, verry dry and dirty. In May we finly got some rain and made things look up. Now here it is in the middle of July and we have not had any rain for over three weeks and the week before last the (huminidity) was around 70% or so and the temp was mid 90, Heat index was 105 to 108. To say the least it was hard on this old man and the grass., I started to skip over some of my weekly yards last week and will have more this week.
    On the good side of it I had enough time to go to St. Louis Sunday and take my grandkids and see the RED BIRDS win a ball game.Calling for a slight chance for rain Monday but that is about it.:angel: