100 Degrees....

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by tjsquickcuts, Aug 7, 2007.

1. tjsquickcuts

tjsquickcuts LawnSite Senior Member
    from Atlanta

Well today in Atlanta, we should get close to 100 degrees for the first time all year. It has been such a mild summer. But last well, someone left the door open from hell because all the heat is rushing in.....and add with the terrible humidity we have here in Atl, its been brutal. Today, I am sure will be the hottest day so far today this year. I got up early this a.m. to prep my trucks for the heat. I added Power Aid instead of water to both trucks, added 2 more extra t-shirts, and will make sure everybody takes little breaks today. O'yeah, and this is only the beginning, should be close to 100 degrees everyday this week and NO RAIN.....Everybody be careful out there today, and keep track of your help because after all they are our responsibility.....

2. cgaengineer

cgaengineer LawnSite Fanatic

I got off work yesterday and cut my neighbors lawn....I went really slow. This will probably be the last time I cut neighbors lawn this year after this heat...Im sure it will be burned up after today.

Everyone needs to drink plenty of water, drink before you are thirsty.

3. IN2MOWN

IN2MOWN LawnSite Platinum Member

105 -110 heat index here in KC for the next 10 days. No rain in sight. 80's at night.

4. TNT LawnCare Inc.

TNT LawnCare Inc. LawnSite Bronze Member

Wer supposed to get real close today in setting a new record for heat temp and humidity maybe over 100 degree's today. YUK..

5. All_Toro_4ME

All_Toro_4ME LawnSite Bronze Member

99 here all week. No rain at all in sight. Heat index 103-107. Misery.....

6. cgaengineer

cgaengineer LawnSite Fanatic

The himidity here is terrible. Last night after sun went down I went out to move my truck and was sweating. I know we complain every year about the high heat/humidity, But honestly...what can do about it except suck it up or move?

7. IN2MOWN

IN2MOWN LawnSite Platinum Member

After 15 years of cutting grass it doesnt really bother me. Its the hit on my wallet that bugs me more.

8. coonman

coonman LawnSite Senior Member

Same here. I will take the heat, it's the 5 degree wind chills and ice that I can't handle.

9. topsites

topsites LawnSite Fanatic

104+ HI (heat index) is yellow caution, 108+ is red warning.
    As a rough rule 98F is about 104HI, 100F is around 108HI, but it depends entirely on the humidity.

I don't work in the red zone, and yellow only if absolutely necessary, which is to say the HI best stay at or below 102 or I stay home, pretty much. To me 98F or cooler is ok, everything else is for the birds, you dang straight I'll stay home an entire week, with no rain the grass ain't growing anyhow. The only other way to do it is work UP to 10:30am or so but find yourself inside no later than 11am, then come 2-2:30pm you can head out again, so long you don't work outside between the hours of 11am-3pm it's not so bad, worst case scenario you can work until dark, it don't get dark around here for a good 5 hours after 3, that to me is plenty time.

Mexicans don't do siestas out of being lazy, they do it to stay inside during the hottest part of the day!

I've never had heat stroke, I hear say all it takes is one time, I reckon we'll be reading about it here soon.

10. PROFESSORRAIN

PROFESSORRAIN LawnSite Member

I can put enough clothes on to stay warm but I can't take enough off to stay cool.