$100 joke

Discussion in 'Starting a Lawn Care Business' started by MIguy, Aug 10, 2005.

1. MIguy

MIguy LawnSite Member
    from mi

just wanted to say hello new to site and share somthing funny.got a call from a guy who wants some work done .he said i got about 12 acres some spots are about 3 feet tall and some about 1 ft tall.then he said i will pay you $100. i just started my own business i dont like to turn jobs away but that is a waste of time and my equipment.i told him i would come look at it .doeos anybody think it would be a waste of time to even go look at

2. mcwlandscaping

mcwlandscaping LawnSite Gold Member

Maybe if once you got there you could explain what you wouldnormally charge for a job like this (even though it is not a normal job by any means). Maybe he'll understand. But 100, nowhere close. A weekly cut wouldn't even be close to that cheap on 12 acres, is this guy crazy?

3. MIguy

MIguy LawnSite Member
    from mi

that is what i am going to do and if he doesn,t understand then he can call somebody else.thanks for response

4. True Cut Lawn Maintenance

True Cut Lawn Maintenance LawnSite Senior Member

i had a women call me in June, not too long after i had went into business and she had 3 acres and only a 21 inch push mower and the grass was 5 inches tall, i told her 35.00 per acre and then she said she had another 2 acres that were knee high and i said i didnt have the equipment to do it and she hung up on me. I think 35 per acre considering the highth of the grass was very reasonable

5. jerryrwm

jerryrwm LawnSite Bronze Member

Would it be a waste of time? Only if it was more than across the street. If you had to drive there you have wasted time and gas. You've already answered your own question. Now if he can be reasoned with and can understand the concept of business for profit maybe you can get him to realize that you have to make money to stay in business.

6. MIguy

MIguy LawnSite Member
    from mi

35 per acre is what i was going to charge him till he said how tall grass was

7. True Cut Lawn Maintenance

until today i hadnt had a single call since then, been adversitising in the local free paper that everyone in the city and county get figured it was too damn dry in july

8. Appalachian landscape

Appalachian landscape LawnSite Senior Member

no wonder I can't get any new customers. People giving prices like $35 an acre for field and brush work. I wouldn't touch the 12 acre job for less than $1200. You should get at least $60 an acre for weekly maintenance. I usually get more like $75.

9. True Cut Lawn Maintenance

there isnt a sole around here that would pay 75 per acre they would go out and buy a new mower themselves

im in a farm town of 16,000 people

10. bohiaa

bohiaa LawnSite Fanatic

I had to go back and read this post...

TWELVE ACERS..........

Come on.....Everyone wants something for nothing....

I wouldn't even show up.

He's taking advantage of your NEW business,
    He thinks that your NEW and dont know what your doing.