100' Man Made Pond Questions.

Discussion in 'Water Features' started by wkasak, May 7, 2003.

1. wkasak

wkasak LawnSite Member

Hello All,

I have a few questions for you guys...

I have a pond on my property that is appox. 100' accross, and round. It is feed by natural springs, and depth goes from 6" to about 6'. It has a drain, and is currently empty. My father used to drain every year, and skim out by hand with a wheelbarrow and shovel:eek: . We used to use it for swimming. It has not been filled for about 10 years, and has alot of growth that needed to be cleared. I am interested in getting it cleaned out and filled this year.

Do you guys have any suggestions about anything I should do before filling...like a layer of gravel on the bottom, large or small rocks, etc. I perfer not to have to drain out every year to keep it maintained.

Thanks in advance.

2. SWD

SWD LawnSite Senior Member

Do you have a problem with the pond leaking down or loss through evaporation?
    If the pond is leaking down - I would seal it with bentonite at least 1/2" thick.
    As far as maintenance of the pond, several approaches can be taken:
    1 - maintain by hand, this is what you are doind now - and a royal pain in the butt.
    2 - maintain through chemicals in order to control the algae an other unwanted growth (maybe not such a good idea if you want to swim in it)
    3 - put in an aerator, either sub or surface
    ejection
    4 - go to the state and get the genetically engineered carp that will control the algae and other unwanted growth. This is probably your best option as now you can both swim and fish.
    OR
    5 - do #3 and #4 together