1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

100+ Mowing Accounts

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by milsaps118, Jan 30, 2007.

1. milsaps118

milsaps118 LawnSite Senior Member

Who here has 100 or more mowing accounts? Not including the customers you do occasional fert/wc, pruning, spring/fall clean ups etc.. for. Strictly mowing.

How many customers do you have to mow a day and how many guys do you use to get them all done in a week. And last...are you cutting 5 or 6 days a week to accomplish this?
  2. LwnmwrMan22

LwnmwrMan22 LawnSite Platinum Member

I used to have 140 accounts / week, with 2 crews of 3 working 8 hours days, 5 days / week.

This was with HUGE drive times to get them, since I live somewhat in the sticks.

If they were 1/2 way close, with smaller (1/2 acre or less), I don't see what a good crew of 2 or an okay crew of 3 couldn't do 75-80 in 5 days. If most were next to at least one other, I'd say closer to that 100 in 5 days.
  3. bowhunter74

bowhunter74 LawnSite Member
    from mo

A guy here has 1 helper and mows 128 yards a week.
  4. chuck bow

chuck bow LawnSite Senior Member

Iam solo and mow 62 by myself in 5 days and use sat for shrub trimming and other landscape maint work
  5. milsaps118

Was it worth it to have that many accounts, or a little overwhelming to service that many customers and manage your guys to keep them on track? I'm assuming you were the 3rd person who made up one of your crews. If so did you find it difficult to keep up with the office stuff, estimates, phone calls, etc..?
  6. bowhunter74

bowhunter74 LawnSite Member
    from mo

I'm just starting this year, I plan on trying to mow around 55 or 60 myself also.
  7. milsaps118

I think thats about avg. for a solo guy with no help. Puts you at about 11-12 accts/wk(5day) which IMO is just enough for one guy to keep him self from burning out before seasons end. Although when I serviced 50 or so accounts by my self for 4 seasons I ended up hiring a kid to whip and blow for me, made life soooo much easier.

Good Luck!
  8. LwnmwrMan22

LwnmwrMan22 LawnSite Platinum Member

We're talking about 7-8 years ago now, so this was even before cellphones, laptops in the truck, etc.

It wasn't bad.

You are correct, I was the third person in one crew, there were times when there were only 5 people working.

When I'm talking HUGE drive times, I'm talking driving 20-30 minutes inbetween accounts on some days.

There weren't alot of estimates after the spring rush.
  9. mslawn

mslawn LawnSite Senior Member
    from LA

I was gearing up today for March, As of this point we have 186 active lawn maintenance customers - mix of resi and commercial. That is with a crew of 3 and a crew of 2. Hopefully, by the end of the year we will be at 250.
  10. topdog

topdog LawnSite Member
    from indiana

i have 48 weekly mowing, and 16 monthly landscape maint.

doesn't include the odd jobs here or there. i also got in with a realator and a bank taking care of houses when they get repod, or getting ready to show.

i have a buddy that helps me with big projects, snow removal, & spring & fall clean ups.

although it may not be likely, my goal is to get 20 more accounts, or one more big account for this season. as long as i am moving forward that is all i can really ask for.