1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

100 Psi

Discussion in 'Irrigation' started by clc19chase, Jul 2, 2007.

1. clc19chase

clc19chase LawnSite Member

MAY BE INStalling a residential system running off of city meter with no regulator. 140/100 psi. 1" main line. customer bought house thinking it had an irrigated yard. turned out it was advertised as underground watering sytem, which is spigots placed randomly throughout the yard for hose connections. my ? is how many heads per zone will I be dealing with. and how exactly do you use the bucket/watch method to figure GPM'S...I will be tying into existing mainlines throughout the yard. If you can help, thanks does a regulator need to be on the system or not
  2. Bill S

Bill S LawnSite Member

I would recommend a new system. Don't try and figure out what is buried. If something doesn't get water it could become a headache.

Take a 5 g. bucket and time how long it takes to fill. If it takes 30 seconds to fill then you are getting 10 gallons per minute. If it takes 120 seconds to fill you are getting 2.5 gallons per minute.

Also, put a pressure reducer on. At 100 psi you could have some surges that will blow your system apart.
  3. Without A Drought

Without A Drought LawnSite Bronze Member

For what it's worth, we did a similar rehab last year. the customer wouldn't go for a new system, so the foreman replaced all the heads, moved as necessary and added 2 spray zones. long story short the techs have been there 3-4 times fixing poly breaks and blown fittings. I finally got there myself and saw the pressure. didn't even bother with a reading, there was more mist than proper spray. everything had to be renozzled and a PRV is going to be installed. all in all it would have been less expensive to start from scratch than to rehab his system. Getting the customer to realize this at the time of the estimate can be difficult though.

My point is, i would abandon anything existing, and do a proper design based on the readings you get. it will save you a lot of headaches down the road.