100+ ton

Discussion in 'Heavy Equipment & Pavement' started by tthomass, Jan 24, 2007.

1. tthomass

tthomass LawnSite Gold Member
    from N. VA

I have a job in the future that will prob require about 100-120 ton of #57 to be spread over and existing driveway. Would you just bill this as time and material if it were yours? I believe that is how I will approach it but I have a price per yard idea stuck in my head for spreading mulch.

2. dKoester

dKoester LawnSite Gold Member

Price it per ton. It is sold by the ton. Then add a delivery and labor charge. No problem.

3. ksss

ksss LawnSite Fanatic

Time and material is always safe. I like to bid such jobs by the square foot. It allows for some flexability and I can put more of a profit margin in it than with T&M. What is number 57? Road base?

4. crab

crab LawnSite Senior Member

yes what is # 57?

5. mrusk

mrusk LawnSite Gold Member

I thought this thread was goging to be about a job where you needed a 100 ton excavator! I was going to say maybe you should pass on this one!

Spreading 100-125 yards of stone is easy! Just figure out the cost of material and delivery. Figure out rental fees and how long it will take.

I know i could spread it in a day no proablem with my 246.

6. mastercraft

mastercraft LawnSite Member

#57 is gravel that is sized from aprox. "3/4 to "1' 1/4 in diameter. 100 yards will probably be around 150 tons, or about 10 tandem loads. provided that you don't have to move the stone very far, your looking at at least a day to spread it and get it looking good. What will determine how fast it gets done is the quantity of trucks delivering it and the round trip time to the pit.

7. TerraFirma Excavating

TerraFirma Excavating LawnSite Member

I'm not familar with this type of stone in your area, but would you need a roller or compactor to finish the job out?

8. markam70

markam70 LawnSite Member
    from USA

have the drivers tailgate it and add 15% and don't touch it.

9. MRBsx2

MRBsx2 LawnSite Member

If that were my job, i would do it time and material and i would add 25% on top of the stone price, and if they wanted a price estimate i would say $2300.00 for everything, in my area stone is 13 dollars a ton delivered.

10. Dirt Digger2

Dirt Digger2 LawnSite Silver Member
    from PA

i agree..spread it with the trucks then you can touch it up with a little skid loader so it will reducue the cost of heavier machinery...then bill by the cost of material + square footage to be spread...its only about 7 tri-axle loads for 150ton so it will take you about 2 hours of work after the last truck leaves to finish up and smooth everything off