100 year old Mansion

Discussion in 'Landscape Lighting' started by NightLightingFX, Mar 17, 2008.

1. NightLightingFX

NightLightingFX LawnSite Senior Member

I have an opportunity to show case my talents in lighting up a 100 year old mansion that is highly recognized in my community. I told the owners however, that I can’t light up the mansion until the perimeter glare bombs get addressed. So I first need some advise from you guys on how I can replace or modify these lamps that surround the mansion. The owner is very concerned about security so we still need a significant amount of lumens from these fixtures I just don’t want any glare bombs to mess-up the lighting of the mansion. I am wondering if an MR16 lamp pointed up, inside the fixture, and painting the underside of the top of the fixture white would work? Do you have any recommendations regarding replacement fixtures. The owner is restoring this mansion to the original 1908 style. The carriage lamp style is probably preferred. Attached is a pic of the glare bomb lanterns and a broad view of my project.

moorelamp.jpg

moorescene.jpg

2. cpel2004

cpel2004 LawnSite Bronze Member

Any ghosts?

3. Pro-Scapes

Pro-Scapes LawnSite Platinum Member

good luck on this. If your state requires you may wish to collaberate with an electrician for the building mounted fixtures especially if you expect to run wires within.

James popped in with a good trick of using par 20 lamps in fixtures. You may wish to try something like that. Make sure anything you do looks like it could of been there in that period. We did a 1903 home and did our best to keep with the period for the landscape renovation and lighting altho the new orleans pathlights they chose didnt fit as much as I would of liked they still look quite well.

I hope you like building mounted fixtures because your going to need them on this one. That Gazebo could be stunning.

4. NightLightingFX

In my mind I was pretty much was planning on trying R20 lamps I just mentioned MR16 to clarify my idea - (some people might not know what R20 lamps are). I may be able to convert the fixtures to low voltage? I am concerned about alot of watts being used with R20s. Maybe I can take out the lens of the current fixture and have them sand blasted to frost them? I really don't want to have my name on this job if there is a bunch of glare bombs all over the place. I am I being too picky about this. This project will be seen by everyone in the community. It is right off the highway going over the Columbia River Blue Brigde.
    ~Ned

5. Pro-Scapes

Pro-Scapes LawnSite Platinum Member

You will just have to educate the client and demonstrate some different lamps in them. If they are unwilling to use your suggestions perhaps suggest dimmers.

6. INTEGRA Bespoke Lighting

INTEGRA Bespoke Lighting LawnSite Platinum Member

Ned... drop the R20 lamps and upgrade to PAR20 Lamps in those post top fixtures and any other line voltage fixture with a med. base socket. Trust me the effect is fabulous, the clients will love it. No glare, the fixture fills with indirect light and the output can be maintained if necessary.... just move up to the 50W PAR20s. Those R20 lamps have maybe 1000 hours in them when installed outside. The 130V Sylvania PAR20 lamps will give you 5000+ hours and much nicer colour.

Get your thinking cap on my friend... you are going to need a bunch of surface mounted fixtures on that structure... and check your local ordinances on heritage properties. If that home is listed as a heritage building you will probably not be allowed to introduce any holes into the structure. If it is not specifically listed, then no worries. Something for you to consider.

By the layout of the driveways and parking it looks like it might be a commercial building... or the client just has a lot of cars to park.

:)You might want to hold off until the client picks that whole thing up and moves it to higher ground! What river is that in the photo? Nice dyke. How does one sleep at night in the spring there? Is there a river height monitor that sounds an alarm when a flood is inevitable?:)

7. NightLightingFX

James,
    a little geography/history lesson. That is the "Mighty Columbia River." There is no major threat of the Columbia River flooding any more because the river has been tamed. There is a lot of dams on the Columbia River. These dams produce most of the eletricity for the Northwest, enable irrigation for ag, and prevent flooding. That dike was built over 50 years ago after the last big flood, and before the dams were built. The mansion has been through the ringer. I don't think it really has been lived in by a single residence until recently. I know the original owner didn't live there long. (Fast forward 70 years) - As a kid I remember it as an "old folks home." There were a couple of failed ventures as a restraunt. Then someone tried to burn it down for insurance claimes. The current owners have been painstakingly fixing it up themselves. I believe they plan on using the site for special events etc. I grew up not far from the mansion so I have some emotional ties to it. It would be a huge thrill to help bring it back to its old glory.
    ~Ned

8. INTEGRA Bespoke Lighting

Thanks for the background Ned. :)

If you find yourself in a pickle, I would be more then happy to fly out there and assist in the design & specification... for a percentage fee + applicable expenses of course. I have a lot of experience in subtlely lighting heritage buildings.

Have a great day

9. NightLightingFX

Re: par 20 lamps,
    What is the smallest wattage per lamp I can get? Can you imagine the electricity bill if I use 50 watt lamps for all those fixtures? That will be an issue for the owner. The owner works for a large power company. The use of power efficiently in this project needs to be considered. Currently they have the good ol' flourescent swirl lamps in the fixtures. I will try to get a picture of the place tonight.
    ~Ned

10. INTEGRA Bespoke Lighting

Ned. Sylvania makes a 35W PAR20 Halogen Lamp. They come in Spot, Narrow Flood and Wide Flood configurations. Apparently the 130V units have been discontinued so you are left with the 120V lamps. I would not use 'cheapy' PAR20 lamps as they don't last.

Also, believe it or not, there are a large number of quality 120V PAR30 LED lamps now available. I haven't tested any but they offer impressive numbers and use up to 75% less electricity per lamp.

So, when shall I book my flight? :)