1000 Accounts

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by grasshopperslawn, Jan 19, 2008.

1. grasshopperslawn

grasshopperslawn LawnSite Senior Member

If you had 1000 accounts just mowing (trimming edge & blow) how would you guys manage it?
  2. Woody82986

Woody82986 LawnSite Silver Member
    from DFW, TX

By hiring 2 other guys to manage it while I maintained my 10 AM tee time every morning...
  3. pj550v12

pj550v12 LawnSite Senior Member

Ask Brickman
  4. Jpocket

Jpocket LawnSite Silver Member

:drinkup:I'd Probably pull it off for the first month, then I'd be dropping em or selling em left and right
  5. NCIlandscaping

NCIlandscaping LawnSite Member

depends on the size of the account, figure a 4 man crew might be able to bang out 50 a day depending on size. so 50 X 5 is 250 x 4(crews) is 1000... probabaly 4-8 crews depend on size...
  6. mattfromNY

mattfromNY LawnSite Bronze Member

Just like you'd manage 100 accounts... only on a bigger scale.
    KISS... keep it simple. Break it into peices that work seperately, but together.
    How many guys/ crews for 100 residential lawns? 2 guys/ 1 crew? Then 10 crews if all residential.
    How many guys for commercial? All commercial, then put the right number of men/ crews out there.
    How many crews can a manager manage? Thats how many managers you need.
    How much equipment? back ups for break downs?
    How many office staff per crew/ manager. Thats how many office staff.
    How to keep everyone working/ performing to their fullest, not quitting, stealing, fighting, etc...
    Now the biggie... MONEY To get the whole thing going. I cant help you there.
    I dont think it is something anyone could just jump into, but it is very possible with the right pieces in place, and a lot of pre planning.
    Good luck with it.
  7. grasshopperslawn

grasshopperslawn LawnSite Senior Member

Someone I know in the business has 900 accounts with 3 crews each crew does 300 a week. they work 7 days a week 10 hour days. they are doing 40-50 a day per crew
  8. cpel2004

cpel2004 LawnSite Bronze Member

Thats no fun, 7 days 10 hr a day. All they have time to do is work. I bet they dont keep help that long.
  9. Chilehead

Chilehead LawnSite Bronze Member
    Male, from Stockbridge, GA

I think 10 2-man crews at 100 per week would be manageable. You could always cram more accounts in per crew, and thus reduce the number of crews. Being realistic, yard sizes vary, drive times between accounts vary, obstacles(such as small gates) vary, etc.. And you have to take into account what would happen if you ran an overloaded schedule and then had 2-4 back-to-back days of rain. I operate solo, and can handle 50 a week on average. Theoretically, I could handle 100 a week myself if all my clients had 1/8 acre lots, and were all within 2 miles of each other, but that's a fairy tale in the real world. To properly gauge what you can handle, you need to add business to a crew until they can no longer keep up with demand in a timely manner. At that point you either transfer that business to another crew, or drop the excess customers. This is how you gauge your breaking point, and set a predictable pattern for knowing when it is time to hire some more help.
  10. wooley99

wooley99 LawnSite Senior Member

Have them all pre-pay and skip town.