1000 flyers

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by will123, Feb 11, 2004.

1. will123

will123 LawnSite Member

Im handing out 1000 flyer with estimates for cutting and fertiling each individuale lawn on them. They are only being handed out in upper class housing areas. How many clients out of 1000 flyers does everyone think I could get. I live in the Hershey, Pa area.

2. Mikes Lawn Landscape

Mikes Lawn Landscape LawnSite Senior Member
    from Texas

10 maybe 20 max
    The number will be lower if they have 20 other flyers hangin on their door

3. upsondown

upsondown LawnSite Senior Member

Just my opinion ......... I have several service oriented businesses - one of which - some local competitors use flyers and write their estimates on them - - - I always have a heads up this way as to what they are charging - - - but is it an effective tool for them to increase their bottom line? - I have my serious doubts - because without exception - those who make it a practice to give their prices so openly - are low ballers in the area - and as the old saying goes - "You get what you are willing to pay for". I utilize "letters of introduction" rather than "flyers" - because my experience has proven that most homeowners that I am targeting do not want a tacky brochure stuck to their door - and will swiftly chuck it in the trash. I spend my advertising bucks in newspaper ads - but you can't expect to advertise one time and have instant response.....it is something which requires continual placement in the papers and over time you will realize a return on your money. For us flyers are really just a waste of a good tree or two....but as I started this out - that's just my opinion.
    Dave

4. bastalker

bastalker LawnSite Senior Member

Not much this time of year.........

5. DennisF

DennisF LawnSite Bronze Member
    from Florida

You can expect about 1 or 2 percent of the total number of flyers to produce a phone call. If you put out 1000 that will get 10-20 responses on average. You can expect about half to sign up for service. In your area it is a little to early to do flyers. I would wait until the last week of Feb or the first week of March when things begin to thaw and people are thinking Spring. JMO.

6. Team Gopher

Team Gopher LawnSite Platinum Member
    from -

Hi Will123,

This seems to be the standard return we see happen quite often from the posts on Lawnsite.

7. EagleLandscape

EagleLandscape LawnSite Platinum Member
    Male, from Garland, Texas

i get 3%-5% return rate on fliers. But it also depends on the type of fliers you put out. I used to get once percent on these full page fliers, now I do 3rd page ads and I get 5% response at the right time of the year.

8. gogetter

gogetter Banned

I'm curious, how will you come up with the price while hanging a flyer on the door?
    In other words, I need to see the whole yard before I can come up with a price (and even then I've been a little off!).
    Unless you're gonna walk into their backyards, I'd be careful pricing a lawn from the front yard view only. Ya know what I mean?

9. Darryl G

Darryl G LawnSite Fanatic

Gogetter - That's what I was thinking.

Personally, there's no way in hell that I'm going to do 1,000 estimates that I haven't been asked to give. What a waste of time. And doing them hastily could be a big mistake.

You'lll probably get some jobs though...all the ones you grossly underbid.