1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

1000 hrs on Kawie

Discussion in 'Mechanic and Repair' started by Joemowz, Aug 19, 2005.

1. Joemowz

Joemowz LawnSite Member

My 21hp Kawie motor has just over 1000 hours of use. I change the oil every week since it was new. It runs great. I had to replace the lower crankcase gasket at 888 hours since it was leaking oil.
    How many hours before the engine begins to get tired?
    When is it smart to replace it?
    Thanks for your help.....Joe :cool2:
  2. MBDiagMan

MBDiagMan LawnSite Senior Member

I don't know the kawasaki engine in particular, but I do know engines in general.

It sounds to me like you are doing the right things. With regular oil changes I don't think that you are anywhere near the end of the life of this engine. Since you are changing oil frequently, pay close attention to whether or not the oil is low before you change it. When it starts using oil or losing power, that will be your sign to do a leakdown or compression test to see if it is getting tired.

There is no need to replace it or rebuild it for preventive maintenance reasons. Just keep doing what you're doing and get your moneys worth from it.

Good luck,
  3. Restrorob

Restrorob LawnSite Fanatic

I agree with Doc, You have quite a bit of life left in this engine and as long as you keep the maintance up like your doing who knows how long it will keep going.

Replace it when it smokes the neighborhood up or it gets that unwanted inspection hole in the side.