1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

103-5700 Idler arm update kit

Discussion in 'eXmark' started by Keith, Jun 5, 2006.

1. Keith

Keith LawnSite Gold Member

I ordered one of these kits from a dealer and began putting them on last night. I held up finishing because I wanted to get a better carbide burr tomorrow to enlarge the hole for the hydro idler. I also held up because I have a couple of questions and wanted to make sure I have this right.

In the box was the three idler arms, a couple small bags of hardware and instructions on how to enlarge the hole for the hydro idler. I didn't see anything that looked like instructions for the other two arms. So I just wanted to run this by you to make sure the hardware in those bags ends up where it is supposed to. On the sheet I have, I think iit calls the gold cups, guards. There are 5 of those. It also only had one 3.5" bolt and one 4". I think there was one whiz lock and one nyloc.

The mule belt idler arm looks like it should be like this:
    (from left to right looking from the back of the machine)

Nyloc nut > frame > guard > idler arm > guard > 3.5" bolt

The deck idler arm (from under the deck to the top):

Nyloc > spring washer > deck plate > idler arm > guard > 4" bolt

Only one guard here, right?

The hydro idler arm (looking forward from the engine) :

3.5" bolt > guard > idler arm > guard > frame >whiz lock nut

I think there was a flat washer in the bag, along with about a short bolt. Is that for the deck idler pulley? Also, is there a spec all this new stuff should be torqued to?
  2. eXmark

eXmark Manufacturer / Sponsor

Hello Keith,

Thanks for taking the time to write in. With kit # 103-5700 you should have received an instruction sheet. I have attached it in case you did not receive one.

The placement that you described is correct. The torque on those bolts (all grade 8) is 43 # plus or minus 5 #.

If there is anything else we can provide or assist you with, please be sure to contact us again.

Thank You

Christie Moore
    Exmark Customer Service Associate

Attached Files:

3. Keith

Keith LawnSite Gold Member

Thanks Christie. I did get that sheet, but it only covers the hydro idler update. The deck idler and mule drive idler, that are part of 103-5700, are not covered by that instruction sheet though. I could look at what I had sitting in front of me and pretty much tell how the other two idlers were supposed to be installed, but I just wanted to make sure. The odd number of guards might throw people for a loop. 3 idlers and 5 guards might leave them scratching their head :) Thanks again for verifying that for me and including the torque specs.