1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

$105 carb?

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Frontier-Lawn, Jul 3, 2006.

1. Frontier-Lawn

Frontier-Lawn LawnSite Silver Member

Last Monday I took my less than 1yr old echo srm-210 to the shop. got a call today to pick it up, & ask what was wrong with it. He said it needed a new carb due to water at $105 (took it in because it ran fine at idle and quit at full throttle). i think thats a over priced and would be covered under the warranty?
  2. lawnmaniac883

lawnmaniac883 LawnSite Silver Member

Sounds a little pricey but thats what ya get for taking it to the shop...should have just bought the carb off of them and replaced it yourself. A new carb should be in the 60-80 range. Carbs arent covered under warranty.
  3. mowerman90

mowerman90 LawnSite Bronze Member

What you should do the next time is buy a rebuild kit for less than $10 and do it yourself.
  4. MMLawn

MMLawn LawnSite Gold Member

Nope. Cause the 210 is a homeowner model and you are using it commercially so the warranty is only 90 days in that case. Like was said a rebuild kit is $10-$20 andit couln't be any easier to rebuild it......at $105 I'd say your dealer doesn't like you very much
  5. rodfather

rodfather LawnSite Fanatic

Beg to differ mike...dealer loves people like this when they can get away it. :nono:
  6. MMLawn

Ahhh....correct again there Rodster.....you're right he is now this dealers "favorite" customer :laugh:
  7. rodfather

rodfather LawnSite Fanatic

Now here's the scary part Mike...how do we know the carb wasn't just rebuilt in the first place unless you ask for and they hand ya the old one??? And unless you are a pretty good mechanic, how in the hell do you know the one they're handing ya is the old one that came off your machine? :laugh:
  8. J&R Landscaping

J&R Landscaping LawnSite Fanatic

Not to argue with anyone but the 210 is warranted for 2 years to homeowners, 1 year to commercial people, 90 days rental.

That carb should have cost you like $40-$60 and it may have been covered under warranty. My dealer tries to get them covered under warranty as much as possible. I have no idea why it would cost you $105 to fix a $199 machine. I would dispute that as much as possible!!! WHats the shops posted labor rate and how long did it take. Carb R&R should take about 1/2 hour to 45 minutes TOPS!!!!!!!
  9. J&R Landscaping

J&R Landscaping LawnSite Fanatic

If you have any doubts, I'd call Echo and report the dealer! Rod, you bring up a very good point!!!
  10. MMLawn

I think we both know the chances are very high they rebuilt it unless he ask for the old one there Rod.....no real reason not to just rebuild it