1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

105 Yards of Mulch 6 inches Thick-Question

Discussion in 'Landscape Maintenance' started by Wil22, Jun 1, 2007.

1. Wil22

Wil22 LawnSite Member

I had a day care called and asked about a quote for a play ground to be mulch 5700 sf, six inches thick. She asked me to give her an estimate, of how mulch material will cost and how many men I'll have onsite, just a break down of the cost.

Option #1

I have a company here said they would blow it in for 22.50 installed. 105 yds total=$2310. To make money on this I would have to mark it up to about $30.00 a yd.

Option #2
    Delivered and dumped $12.00 per yard plus $70.00 delivery charge=total $1470. Then got to figure to purchase of a couple wheel barrels and hiring on 3 day workers @ $8.00 an hour.

I've never installed anywhere near 100 yds?

The day care center has to have this mulch installed, I think it's a state requirement. The mulch company is about 2 weeks behind.

In this situation what would you guy's do? I'm thinking if I sub it out and tell her I'm going to have the mulch blown in, why would she want to use me, why not get the phone book and call around?

Would like a few suggestions on this one.
  2. MSS Mow

MSS Mow LawnSite Senior Member
    from Maine

Give her the cost breakdown, which ever way you choose to do the project. It doesn't matter who does the work, as long as you're the one handling the customer. You bill the customer and your sub bills you. If you decide to sub it out, doesn't hurt to mention that your "mulch guy" will be by tomorrow (or whatever day) to do the job instead of saying that you'd have to find someone else to do the work. Don't make it sound so bad to the customer about having to sub out the work and they won't care who does it. They just want it done, and done right.
  3. Envy Lawn Service

Envy Lawn Service LawnSite Fanatic

Well, this is a good one to ask the masses on, because I quit doing anything for daycares at least 10 years ago.

Having it blow in sounds like the cheap way to go.
    I just can't imagine them doing a good job at $22.50 a yard installed.

But then again, it's a playground, not a landscape, so......
  4. Envy Lawn Service

Envy Lawn Service LawnSite Fanatic

I dunno... after reading all of that again...

Sounds like a fishing expedition to me.....
  5. Fairway Land & Lawn

Fairway Land & Lawn LawnSite Member

I agree with Fishing Expedition. That was the first impression I got from your post... Seems like the only customers that care/demand a cost breakdown are one of a couple things, Fishing, Cheap, or will just be an old fashioned PITA...I will never break down my cost to customers. They either accept the TOTAL price for the respective job, or I say good day and kick rocks. I wont even omit processes in a landscape job to reduce price, not gonna have the business name on some half-assed work...Sub it out and call it done. 100 yards is a lot to spread. What kind of time frame will you need to uphold? Also, if you mark up the sub to $30.00/yrd you will clear a cool $750, for what? Maybe 30 minutes of work....I like that hourly wage....However, that percentage is a little high. I get about 15% on top for any work that I sub out. That should only be around $340...
  6. hughmcjr

hughmcjr LawnSite Member
    from Oregon

Technically to go 6 inches deep on 6000 sq ft you would need 120 yards of mulch. one yard covers 100 sq ft. 3 inches deep.
  7. fiveoboy01

fiveoboy01 LawnSite Silver Member

Um, if you had read his post, you'd see he said 5700 square feet, not 6000.

5700 square feet x .5 divided by 27 equals 105.5 yards.

I'd agree, don't give a breakdown. Here's the total price, take it or leave it.

The customer has no reason or need to know your individual costs.
  8. hdhillin

hdhillin LawnSite Member

Be careful. Most companies around here thanblow mulch, do not do the depth as requested. Initially it looks good but two weeks later you find the depth is not consistent. I would definatly be there and watch closely, even measure the depth while they are blowing in different areas.
  9. David Gretzmier

David Gretzmier LawnSite Gold Member

I'm thinking you don't know what 100 cubic yards of mulch looks like- That is a full tractor trailer load.

3 guys with wheel barrows? let's see- a wheelbarrow holds 6-8 cubic feet, there's 27 cubic feet in a yard, so let's say 4 trips per yard. that is over 400 trips ! even If 3 guys could load and spread at 3 minutes per trip (very unlikely) that's 1200 minutes or 20 hours. at 24 per hour ( 3 guys x 8) that's 480 for labor.

My guess is you will have to take this stuff through a gate and will not be able to dump close to allow for a 3 minute cycle time. The blower guy should cut you a deal for 100 yards that he won't give to a random customer, but maybe not. make a few hundred off blower guy and inspect work.

for the record I would charge alot more than the blower guy, but they work off volume.
  10. godzilla

godzilla LawnSite Senior Member

You can't get in there with a loader can you? 2 or 3 guys if you could get a loader in there could have it done in a day without any troubles.