1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

106 acres of mowing????

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by AuburnGuy, Jan 15, 2007.

1. AuburnGuy

AuburnGuy LawnSite Senior Member

I am giving a bid on a property that is about 106 acres. It is flat and open, not trees or obstacles what so ever. So the conditions would be ideal to get on and ride. there is not much trimming at all, maybe an hour. It has a few sections, but they are all large flat and open. for any of you guys that have done anything similar how long do you guys see this taking? I will be using a 60-72" ZTR.
  2. AtoZ

AtoZ LawnSite Member

I think you need something bigger than 72"...
  3. crzymow

crzymow LawnSite Senior Member
    from Pa

you need to get a much larger mower, id try to find a 10' if possible.
  4. carcrz

carcrz LawnSite Silver Member

You can do it w/ 72"ers. It will take all day w/ several guys. If by yourself, you will definitely need something bigger.
  5. Jerry Andersen

Jerry Andersen LawnSite Member

i mow 6.5 acres in about 2 hrs with 61" ztr not all flat but it is not bad. On flat ground around 4 acres per hr
  6. AuburnGuy

this will be straight, about half of the mowing will be 1.5 miles one pass. should be able to cut wide open.
  7. Picture Perfect Landscape

Picture Perfect Landscape LawnSite Member

What did you bid this @ if you don't mind me asking?
  8. AuburnGuy

i have not bid it yet. I am in the process.
  9. carcrz

carcrz LawnSite Silver Member

What kind of mowers you using? Dixies? Ferris? DC's site says their 72" can run 7.2 acres an hour. Going that rate, that will take you 22.22 hours. 3 guys should be able to get it all done in a day w/ the trimming.
  10. freddyc

freddyc LawnSite Senior Member

we would need to know your mowers actual speed and effective cut width..

but with a 68" effective cutting width, at 8mph speed, you should knock it out in just over 19 1/2 hrs...if you dont slow down too much turning around. Don't forget the pee stops though---19 hrs in the saddle is a long time!