106 degrees???

Discussion in 'Irrigation' started by FIMCO-MEISTER, Aug 4, 2008.

1. It's monday

Excessive Heat Warning

/O.CON.KFWD.EH.W.0001.000000T0000Z- 080805T0000Z/ GRAYSON-FANNIN-LAMAR- DENTON-COLLIN-HUNT-DELTA-HOPKINS- TARRANT- DALLAS-ROCKWALL-KAUFMAN-VAN ZANDT-RAINS- INCLUDING THE CITIES OF... SHERMAN...DENISON...BONHAM...PARIS... DENTON...LEWISVILLE...FLOWER MOUND... THE COLONY...PLANO... GREENVILLE... COMMERCE...COOPER...SULPHUR SPRINGS... FORT WORTH... ARLINGTON...DALLAS... ROCKWALL...TERRELL...KAUFMAN... FORNEY... WILLS POINT...CANTON...GRAND SALINE...VAN...EDGEWOOD...EMORY... POINT...EAST TAWAKONI 358 AM CDT MON AUG 4 2008

...EXCESSIVE HEAT WARNING REMAINS IN EFFECT UNTIL 7 PM CDT THIS EVENING...

DANGEROUS SUMMER HEAT WILL CONTINUE TODAY. AFTERNOON HIGH TEMPERATURES WILL RANGE BETWEEN 103 AND 107 DEGREES. THESE HOT TEMPERATURES COMBINED WITH THE HUMIDITY WILL PRODUCE HEAT INDEX VALUES NEAR 110 DEGREES DURING THE LATE AFTERNOON. IN ADDITION...MORNING LOW TEMPERATURES WILL ONLY FALL INTO THE LOWER 80S IN URBAN AREAS...AND MID TO UPPER 70S IN OUTLYING AREAS.

PERSONS INVOLVED IN ANY OUTDOOR ACTIVITIES ARE URGED TO TAKE FREQUENT BREAKS AND DRINK PLENTY OF WATER. WEAR LOOSE FITTING AND LIGHT COLORED CLOTHING. BE SURE TO CHECK ON PERSONS WITH HEALTH PROBLEMS AND THE ELDERLY... AS THEY ARE THE MOST SUSCEPTIBLE TO HEAT EXHAUSTION AND HEAT STROKE.

2. bicmudpuppy

bicmudpuppy LawnSite Silver Member

Thanks, Peter :)

You just made my morning with this relocation to the High Desert!!

The 100 degrees the last few days has had the natives screaming. My son said it felt like 90 in the river valley. Today is going to be cooler with a chance of rain all week. Worst part about this chance of rain is it comes with some humidity so the swamp coolers won't be as efficient.

BTW, higher humidity means the just under 50% this morning @ 65 and will probably not drop below 30% when it gets to the predicted 95.

When it was 98-100, the humidity was back down to <10%. I don't worry about turf diseases or anything anymore. Just apply water, mow grass, etc.

3. Wet_Boots

Wet_Boots LawnSite Fanatic

What kind of dew points are involved?

4. WalkGood

WalkGood LawnSite Bronze Member

"Don't make it too obvious, but I want to see ...... early morning dew."

[​IMG]

5. txgrassguy

txgrassguy LawnSite Gold Member

We hit 102*F by one PM - heat index was 109*-110*F.
    Told the crews to shut down nlt than 2 PM and tomorrow start time is 0630.
    Local ordinance start times remain at 0800 but the Code Enforcement dudes says they are not looking to hammer any of the licensed contractors as they know we have a bunch of work to complete. I have seen several unlettered irrigation trucks and apparent employees stopped by the Code Enforcement - when I asked him why he replied with above. Apparently some homeowners were complaining about "trespassers" swimming in their pools and it turned out to be these guys "cooling" off. Told my crews they pull this crap and they are fired, no ride back to the shop - don't come back.
    The biggest problem we encounter during periods of higher than normal temps is either the tool handles become to hot too grab or excessive volatilization of the solvent weld and primer occurs which causes loss of this material. As a side note the crews use only 725 or hotter solvent and this stuff sets up real fast in the heat of day.
    Actual production doesn't really become an issue regarding lower levels until around 105*F with an heat index of 112*F+ - then we all turn into sloths.
    I called it quits a bit earlier today but the crews weren't complaining - they know the time will be made up later in the week.

6. MJS

MJS LawnSite Bronze Member

Heat index right now in Stl. is 109. Temp is 97. Yeah, I'm done for today.

7. DanaMac

DanaMac LawnSite Fanatic

I don't know how you guys do it. I turn into a cranky a$$ at 80 degrees. Or was that 50 degrees :) anyway... I don't do well with heat at all. Good luck, stay cool and hydrated. Run through the sprinklers as if your life depends on it, and it just might!!

8. Waterit

Waterit LawnSite Silver Member

We mentally play back the Coors Silver Bullet commercials.

9. Mike Leary

Mike Leary LawnSite Fanatic

We wusses up north start swooning when it gets above 80. I've been told that we have thicker blood and it takes a couple of years in the south to acclimate. All I know is, we were in Phoenix at 101 & I thought I was going to pass out.

10. txgrassguy

txgrassguy LawnSite Gold Member

Anything lower than 75*F and I'm wearing a sweatshirt.
    But then again I wear shorts all year long too.
    About the only concession I'll make to cold weather is below 45*F I'll put on carhart bibs - but I'm still in shorts.