1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community on the Franchising Forum.

Dismiss Notice

10k Trailer advice

Discussion in 'Trucks and Trailers' started by lyube, Jan 17, 2008.

1. lyube

lyube LawnSite Fanatic

Hello all,

Next year I'm anticipating picking up a ferret scout car that's not running and needs a restoration. Thus it'll have to be towed.

The ferret itself weighs a hefty 8500 lbs or so (over rating by 500 to be safe). It's about 6.5 feet wide, 13 feet long, 7 feet tall w/ turret.

The trailer needs to have, at a minimum, 9000lb rating. 10k would be better. Also must have a pintle mount, because I'll probably end up using an old m35 to tow it until I get a big dually.

2. Mike Fronczak

Mike Fronczak LawnSite Senior Member

Check with DOT regs, if in business. In NY if trailer is over 10K GVW, you need a class A CDL, med card etc. Thats why you see so many tralers at 9900 lbs (both my dump & bobcat, are labeled from manufactuer as such). I know my bobcat trailer is rated for 8000 on the deck(trailer weighs in @ 1800-1900 lbs). It depends on how much your using it for business vs towing car? If it were me & I would through it on my trailer (under the 10K). Take it slow and at night, less traffic. If your only going to move it a couple times, if constantly transporting on trailer, then different story.