10w30 or SAE30 engine oil for your mower?

Discussion in 'Mechanic and Repair' started by MississippiLawnKid, May 11, 2014.

1. greenbaylawns

greenbaylawns LawnSite Senior Member

I'd be out of business if I stopped at 96. Raise the deck and keep mowing.

2. weeze

weeze LawnSite Fanatic

kawi says use 30 or 10w30. either one.

3. Tennesseepowerstroke

Tennesseepowerstroke LawnSite Senior Member

My Kawasaki manual lists 30W, 40w, 10w30 and 10w40 all as acceptable depending on the outside air temps. I have always used Mobil 1 10w30 but just switched to Rotella 5w40.

4. jmoney7269

jmoney7269 LawnSite Member

10w-30 or SAE 30 is fine. I tend to lean towards the thinner multi grades for the thinner viscosity at startup. Most of all of your engine wear is at startup or within the first 8 hrs of a oil change and that's a proven fact. Conventional DINO or HYDROCRACKED oil in stages of 1-3 are more dependent on shear additives to maintain a film to prevent metal to metal contact. All in all it's worth it to spend a little more now or a lot more down the road. I run 100% PAO/Ester oils in all my gasoline engines. Those types of oil virtually eliminate dry starts and you can go literally twice as long between changes with occasional oil analysis monitoring. Because I get it at cost I run kawasaki 10w40 synthetic in everything I own. The kawasaki oil is blended my motul which IMO is the best oil in the world. Never bought into the amsoil "snake oil" hype. In my diesel Motorhome I run kawasaki CJ-4 rated semi synthetic. Just FYI never run a oil that is reccomended for gasoline engines only in a diesel. Seen my fair share of oil caked in diesel oil pans because it didn't have the overbase detergent additives to keep acid and soot suspended in the oil. I had 12k hrs on my last Onan 5500 generator and my new 7.5kw generator has 2.5k hrs on it and doesn't burn a drop of oil. I'm a big time believer in not changing your oil too often, especially before the manufacture recommendation.
    Posted via Mobile Device

5. Tennesseepowerstroke

Other than the Kawasaki oil, can you give us some examples of 100% PAO/Estor Oils?

6. jmoney7269

Mobil 1 is around 70% Pao with some esters
    German Castrol edge at auto zone
    Motul
    Amsoil but not for the price
    Bel-ray
    No oil will usually be more than 90% pao due to poor seal compatibility so other additives are used. I like oils that have esters in them because they bond with the metal to eliminate dry starts where as regular Dino oil uses film strength. The film strength is the weakest at startup since the engine has been sitting and the pump has no pressure. Another good practice to start is to let a engine idle for 2 minutes or so before shutting it down. Running an engine at WOT and shutting it down without proper procedure causes oil COKING in the rings and that causes premature wear And oil consumption also. This practice is mainly used in diesel turbocharged engines but the practice on smaller engines doesn't hurt. Any synthetic oil with a JASO MA or JASO Ma2 rating is good, because of the extra anti wear additives for crankcase with clutches True synthetic oil doesn't break down and consume as easily in multi grades as Dino oil. But I know some law care places that get 3-4k hrs out of their engines with regular old oil they get in bulk but it's rare. Usually some failure happens or some preventative maintenance from a operator doesn't allow long engine life though
    Posted via Mobile Device

Last edited: May 17, 2014
  7. southerntide

southerntide LawnSite Fanatic
    Male, from Alabama

Mine does as well

Guess it depends on year of motor, what model year is yours ?

ericg likes this.
  8. Tennesseepowerstroke

My Exmark is a 07 model.

9. Tennesseepowerstroke

So Rotella T6 5w40 would not fall into this category of oils?

10. jmoney7269

No, even though rotella t6 is 100% synthetic according to American standards, it does contain wax and petroleum making it a group 3 Hydrocracked oil. Group 4 and 5 pao and ester oils are pure synthetic. They have higher and lower operating temperature than any other oils.thats why mobil 1 filed that big lawsuit over conventional oils and Hydrocracked oils calling themselves synthetic. Also another top of the line oil is Redline
    Posted via Mobile Device