1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

11 acre lot

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by corycc, May 13, 2001.

1. corycc

corycc LawnSite Member

I am preparing a bid for an 11 acre lot with about 8 or 9 acres of grass to be cut every 8 to 10 days. I don't have the equipment, but fortunately they have a ford tractor with a 72" Woods deck on it. The lot is a little hilly but not bad. There is under 30 mins of trimming to be done and a little blowing. This is my first large job and I am not sure what to charge. I was thinking I would be able to cut steady at 7 or 8 miles per hour and that the whole job should take maybe just over three hours. How much should I charge?
  2. kris

kris LawnSite Bronze Member
    from nowhere

Are they supplying fuel, maintenance etc for the tractor?
  3. smburgess

smburgess LawnSite Senior Member

3.5 hours X YOUR hourly rate + expenses (assuming you are doing it by yourself???, paying for gas, string, etc.???). I like the easy questions!

CLARKE LawnSite Member

I get about $35 per acre 2 acres $45 or $50 3 acres
    $65 or $75, Now 11 acres lets see it depends on where
    its at, But i would go with $20 or $25 per Acre so that
    would be $220 to $300 per mowing if not a lot of travel
    time is there i say $240 ot $250 per mowing thats what i would
    do, But my LAWN CARE is me my son and brett. I have 2 dixie
    choppers and not a lot of over head. smaller is better i think.
  5. corycc

corycc LawnSite Member

They are supplying all the gas and regular maintenance. So my only expense is travel and the use of my trimmer. Since I am using their stuff I don't need to charge $300 do I?
  6. syzer

syzer LawnSite Bronze Member

Clarke you charge $50.00 for a 3 acre lot? How do you eat?
  7. oneEXMARKfan

oneEXMARKfan Banned

I read it as 50 for 3 acres at first, but then I noticed 2 acre at 45- 50, and 3 acres at 65-75.
  8. Pauls Mowing

Pauls Mowing LawnSite Member

Steve got it right, 3.5 hours x your hourly rate.

9. syzer

syzer LawnSite Bronze Member

Sheesh still 3 acres for 65-75 we get like 50-65 here for one acre lots.
  10. stslawncare

stslawncare LawnSite Bronze Member
    from DE

very interesting scenerio. could u descrive the property, a little hilly is no biggy for a tractor. trees? gardens? open field? if this is a open field, using a tractor and 6' mower should be a piece of cake. heck get a walkman roll up the sleeves and cruise while getting a farmers tan. i would love that job. now for the price, if its the situation i described above, not a big money make in my opinion, only true work would be the weedwacking, so charge a good bit for the weedwacking, but for the mowing half of your hourly rate and thats about it i would think, also if its a open field shouldnt take u 3 hours, what hp is the tractor? give me some more info and between myself and grandparents (farmers) i can get u a good bid amount.