$1100 repair bill on Toro Z-turn???

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by ctlc, Jul 24, 2008.

1. ctlc

ctlc LawnSite Member

Just spent $1100 on a new wheel motor and hydraulic pump for my Toro Z-turn....I am not sure if that is normal pricing on all Z-turns or not ...the labor was app. $100 and the bal. was for parts.....The mower has app. 975 hrs. on it and other than a new spindle replacement (app. $350 ) last year that is all so far I have spent, other than reg. maintenance.

2. shovelracer

shovelracer LawnSite Silver Member

Yep this is normal. You might have saved a couple hundred going online and labor yourself, but you didnt get ripped off. Look at it this way, The big parts of the mower are the hydros, the motor, and deck. You just rebuilt a third. Tip is learn how to work on your equipment.

3. meets1

meets1 LawnSite Gold Member

Toro wouldn't stand behind this? How old is this machine. I just had the same thing happen to me earlier this summer. My machine was a year old with 600 hours - Toro went back and forth and said this and that as well as the dealer. Finally after enough bitching on my part - TORO covered everything. My dealer told around 1100 - 1200 for the fix.

4. brucec32

brucec32 LawnSite Platinum Member

It's a warranty, not a promise to sell you an expense-free mower for life. Nearly 1,000 hours is a lot on a commercial mower and how hard they're used varies widely. If the warranty has expired, it's expired. Yes, they can last longer. But realize that when they decide to pay for a repair on a 1,000 hour mower that's out of warranty, that the rest of us wind up paying for that in the form of higher prices.

5. topsites

topsites LawnSite Fanatic

You said it, I don't know how I would survive without that benefit.

6. meets1

Maybe its out of warrenty but 1000 hours on a machine could be easily reached within the warrenty time lines. I run 4 toro Z's and I move the machines every3rd year cuz by that time warrenty is off, were pushing 1600 - 2000 hour / machine. Beside the cost of these units should be considered when this major of a repair needs to be taken care off. Now if you are jumping curbs, alot of side hill mowing etc - maybe your mistake but............

7. Frue

Frue LawnSite Bronze Member

is that the cause of these going bad? curbs and side hills.

8. meets1

Curbs are hard on them due to the force with the pump to get over the curb from one side to the other. Hill side mowing - same concept to a degree. Not if you do this once or twice a day or week, who cares, regular mowing is demanding. If your hoppen curbs all day or mowing those hills for 12 hours at a crack, then yes, this could the cause to pump failure. If your familar with skid loaders and 2 speed, the same concept - 2 speed is meant for travel time to and from. Not turning in tight spaces where the torque is increbililty high or digging dirt.

9. MJB

MJB LawnSite Silver Member
    from Wa

1000 hrs is nothing. If your wheel motors or pumps are going out that soon then something wrong. I had 7 zero turns and only 1 failure in less than 3800 hrs. That was with Hustler. The way I see it if you are making payments on a mower it better last until it's paid for, or at least be warrantied. That doesn't make Toro look good either.

10. yamadooski

yamadooski LawnSite Senior Member

We had the same problem with our Exmark Laser.
    At 1200 hours all wheel pumps and hydro have been replaced 2 times.
    Im done with Exmark!!!!!!