1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

114$ to dump leaves......

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by KenH, Nov 21, 2004.

1. KenH

KenH LawnSite Bronze Member
    from CT

My town dump recently started charging to dump leaves. Went the other day for the first time and was charged 114$ to dump the truck. Of course I did not realize this until after I got back onto the scale. The kicker was, this was leaves from only 2 yards, so I have to charge each customer an additional 60$ or so dumping fee.

I am going to have a talk with the town, as it is unfair to charge leaves by the pound, especially if they are wet. Some of my customers are sure going to be surprised when the receive their cleanup bills.

The funny thing is, you dont have to pay to dump your own leaves, but if you do your neighbors, you have to pay to dump. Doesnt really make sense, but what did I expect from a "waste management official."
  2. packerbacker

packerbacker LawnSite Bronze Member

That sucks, i dont pay a dime, i can turn 30 bags of leaves into 2 just mulching them and put them out at the curb, the waste guys here take up to 20 bags, 2 times a week so they get their max every week
  3. jbell113

jbell113 LawnSite Senior Member

Maybe the town will stop charging once they have to start cleaning up illegal dump sites. We have to pay also and there is illegal trash piles all over the place.
  4. Leaves and Lawns

Leaves and Lawns LawnSite Member
    from MA$$

i work at the gate at cape cod's largest transfer station.we do charge a fee for com. trucks but $20.00 a truck load.$114.00 a load sounds like he weight you in as demo.on the scale.has he always put you on the scale? is this guy new?have you had problems with him before?that is bull :realmad: raise the roof on that one.
  5. rodfather

rodfather LawnSite Fanatic

114 bucks to dump leaves is crazy IMO. They must have added in the weight of the truck with the leaves I would guess...somebody srewed up for sure.
  6. KenH

KenH LawnSite Bronze Member
    from CT

This was the first time they weighed for leaves. Ive been weighed for brush many times before. They charge 122$ a ton for leaves. My trucks gross filled was 5.34 tn, empty was 4.4tn, meaning I had .94tn of leaves.

You are right about the illegal dumping. Im tempted to just dump the leaves at the gate of the dump. Im speaking with the Dir. of public works on Monday.
  7. GrassBustersLawn

GrassBustersLawn LawnSite Senior Member

WOW!!!! :blob3: :realmad: And I thought $25 for 2 yards (our dump minimum fee) was alot! Guess I won't B Itch so much next time I take a load.

8. brentsawyer

brentsawyer LawnSite Senior Member

$122 a ton to dump leaves is BS. No other way to put it. Wish I could charge a fee like that to gain something so valuable. Call your councilmen and stay on there A$$. Also get as many other landscapers around to do the same or petition. Here we're in the same boat, although not as bad. $38/ton same as demolition debris. Free if its you leaves though. Really is a bad concept. We're saving the city money by not having to collect curbside and delivering the leaves to their site and they're charging us. Needless to say, I have yet to dump there, Don't worry, I have a good friend in the next town that needs the leaves for his farm and he uses them. However, it is a pain since I have to drive twice as long. Usually on rainy days when I couldn't get anything else done, still quite a bit more fuel. This does increase the number of illegal dumps though. Think of all the scrubs who don't pay taxes, license fees, you think there going to pay a dump fee for leaves. He!! no, here's a better idea, take the dump a construction site where no one lives and leave for someone else to clean up.
  9. bobbygedd

bobbygedd LawnSite Fanatic
    from NJ

were your customers aware of this extra disposal fee? if not, how do you justify adding it to thier bill? just because things got hairy on your end, doesn't mean the customer is responsible. if you originally quoted xxx for disposal, be a man of integrity, and stick to that quote.
  10. kootoomootoo

kootoomootoo LawnSite Platinum Member

Guys!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Do you know those same leaves are like gold to a mulch maker next june. Most mulch producers will gladly take them at no charge.