11hp Billy Goat truck loader?

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by FrankenScagMachines, Nov 9, 2004.

1. FrankenScagMachines

FrankenScagMachines LawnSite Platinum Member
    from IN

Hey all, currently have to use my 5hp 6" hose homemade loader. Looked and looked but could not find an affordable used vac larger that was in my price range. However yesterday an aquaintance LCO is beside us on the road and rolls down his window and tells me he has a 11hp billy goat truck loader vac he will sell me for a few hundred bucks. so i said ok i'll call you.
    Now 11hp will definately be a major upgrade to us, our 5hp clogs constantly with small sticks. does not really clog with leaves but it is slow going, we got a 8" x 12" rectangle stovepipe peice from Lowe's that attaches to the end of the hose so it has a larger intake. Then we just feed the hose with a rake and it works fine that way, it goes in easier that way than with just the hose.
    For our jobs within city pickup zone we leave them at the curb but we do several jobs that are in rich areas that are not in city pickup zone and we must haul them off. These are our largest leaf jobs and i have to have another guy just to run the vac it's so slow, and this is really ineffecient and at this rate the 11hp would almost pay for itself. Also when it plugs up i have to stop what i'm doing and go help them. Really a major pain.

Anyway, I know the 11hp will seem good. I know the price is probably just fine. Anything i'm not thinking of here? Would an 11hp clog with sticks much as badly just for the fact that it will suck in larger sticks? My guys sort the debris as they rake it into the vac but still alot of sticks still make it in.. it's the ones that are thick enough not to bend that get stuck, usually shorter ones like i said 6" or so cuz they get turned sideways and stuck right at the entrance into the vac housing, after they've been through 15' of hose w/o a problem :realmad:

2. Shuter

Shuter LawnSite Bronze Member

11 hp, I don't know. I have a 16 hp Billy Goat that does clog every once and a while, but for the most part runs great for the whole pile of leaves. It will take in wet leaves, pine needles, small sticks and rocks with no problem.

3. Tvov

Tvov LawnSite Bronze Member
    from CT

We have an 11hp Billy Goat, it works fine. We've had it for years, it just will not die. You are going to get clogs no matter what. Possibly you will have fewer with the larger vac. Just try to separate out the sticks, there is not much you can do about it. Collecting leaves with a vacuum attachment on a mower and then dumping in front of the truck vac works great to avoid sticks.

4. FrankenScagMachines

from IN

We have noticed that about mow-bag then vac to avoid sticks. Alot of places we do use the mower and bagger on and love it but also alot of the places we have to vac we use blowers on because of the fact that leaves are deep and properties are a little too steep and wet to be going over them a couple times with the rider, it would tear up the lawn. These are lawns for walk behind mowers, but we mainly do only the cleanups at these properties. Check out the thread i put video and pics of cleanups on it, these are the places i'm talking about. Where the guys were working was level spot in the lawn but the rest of it is too steep or slippery (wet and not enough thick grass, plus add sticks and nuts on ground) for a Z and sometimes the w/b slides there too. But the backpack blowers work great on those places, if piles get too big we push them with the rider or put them on a tarp and drag them up.

So an 11hp you think will be fine? We might end up with something bigger next year unless this one does better than i think it will, but right now we just need something affordable to get us by mainly.

5. FrankenScagMachines

from IN

Oh, how well does 11hp BG loader shred leaves? My 5hp doesn't really shred them at all (sometimes it will if they're brittle like silver maples dried out real well for example).

6. walker-talker

walker-talker LawnSite Platinum Member
    from Midwest

For a couple hundred bucks....I say go for it!!! When you get ready for your major leaf loader...I would not suggest anything under 20hp. I currently have not used a 20hp, but am using a 16hp and think that is not enough. Once you have justification to purchase a larger leaf loader....I would go with the most hp you can afford.

7. FrankenScagMachines

from IN

Matt, i definately agree. For next season I have even thought about a Giant Vac municipal trailer with big diesel vac on it. I see them on Ebay sometimes pretty reasonable prices. Then for jobs with no accessibility for something of that size we got the 11hp or whatever at the time :) If my one ton won't pull a rig like that i can get an old dump pretty cheap and would use it for other work as well, maybe even put a plow on it if we have any big lots to plow :) well i'm dreaming a little here lol but i've thought of it. those things go on ebay for same as a new 16hp sometimes. thats pretty good in my book. go a few days or even a week without dumping, and suck up people's pets too lol j/k.

8. Tvov

Tvov LawnSite Bronze Member
    from CT

It will definitely shred better than a 5hp, but it also depends on conditions. Damp, freshly fallen maple leaves can go through virtually untouched, but dry oak leaves can be pulverized.

One thing to be aware of is with the more powerful vac, be careful about vacuuming big sticks and stones. You don't want to bend or crack the impellor. If you do get a new impellor, make sure to get the thick vacuum impellor. A bunch of years ago I mail ordered a new impellor, and what I got was simply a blower impellor, it didn't even last one season. I went back to the local dealer and got the correct heavy duty vacuum impellor.

9. AL Inc

AL Inc LawnSite Bronze Member

For the price, it sounds like a good deal. Will get you through a few seasons and then you can upgrade. As stated above, you still will clog the 11 hp. I have a Giant Vac tow behind w/ a 20 hp Kohler and we even have to be careful with that. The man running the vac keeps a barrel next to him to put the sticks in. It's not often, but it does clog, especially with wet leaves.
    But this BG sounds like a nice step for you. If you can afford it, grab it.

10. FrankenScagMachines

from IN

thanks guys. i hope to go look at it today and see what kinda deal he wants to make me.
    Eric