11hp or 20hp Walker?

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Scott Baum, Jan 25, 2002.

1. Scott Baum

Scott Baum LawnSite Member

I was wondering if I should purchase the Model S with the 11hp Kaw. or the Model T 20hp Kohler? Will be using the 36" or 42" deck. Thanks for any input! :confused:
  2. BigJim

BigJim LawnSite Senior Member

My works mainly residential,the 11hp Kawasaki goes just fine,drives the 42inch deck no trouble,couldnt mow any quicker with a 20hp, here also the price difference is NZ$22,000 which is a lot of lawns!Bigger lawns,hill work,need to drive a bigger deck, then I'd certainally go to the 20hp,I've got the 20hp specs here guess which model I'm trading up too next,I want a HiLift catcher system because we bag most lawns it'll save the old back a lot of work.The 11 at work..

3. Mowman

Mowman LawnSite Senior Member

Myself I would go with a Walker MT w/ 20HP Kolher and a 52"SD deck. Run double blades on it and you won't have to bag anything. If you go with the GHS model I'd get the 48" and a 52"SD for the times you don't want to bag.
    I own a MT with a 20HP Kolher and a 52"SD running double blades and I BAG nothing. This set-up is AWESOME!!!!!!!! Demo one with the double blades and I think you'll be quite impressed with the preformance of this set-up. NO MORE BAGGING for me.
    Saves me time and my customers love it.

4. MOW ED

MOW ED LawnSite Fanatic

The 11 is for large homeowner or light commercial use. The 20 is more suited for commercial mowing and you can get a speed up kit for the 20 and mow at almost 7mph as opposed to 5mph with the 11. The hydros rob power and so does the deck. The blower on the 11 is also smaller in overall diameter.
    You won't regret the 20 as it is a solid runner. You may need the extra horses in the future. I myself have a 26efi driving a 42"ghs deck and nothing will slow it down.
  5. vipermanz

vipermanz LawnSite Bronze Member

i thought about looking into a model s 11hp 36", gate issues you know:(
  6. Ray&Christine

Ray&Christine LawnSite Member

I have a Walker C model with a 16 hp Kohler. I have 36 in GHS deck and a 36 in side side discharge deck. It gets through most gates. It has plenty of power, I mostly cut small properties so the 16 hp. is enough for the small decks. If I was to start cutting larger accouts I would spend the money and get the 20 hp. if I was going a run a larger deck all the time.You only asked about the 11 hp and the 20 hp. . Did they discontinue the 16 hp on the Walker? or is it only available in Cananda?

7. slplow

slplow LawnSite Senior Member

Ray, they still make the 16hp and sell them world wide. I would would buy 20hp with 42'' deck or even better 48'' deck and get the job done faster.