12/2

Discussion in 'Landscape Lighting' started by BIGHEAVY, Jul 1, 2008.

1. BIGHEAVY

BIGHEAVY LawnSite Member

hello all
    quick question, 300 watt transformer one run of 4 12v wash lights 35w approx 60 ft and one run of 2 12v wash lights 35w and one 12v spot 35w approx 40 ft. this comes to 245 watts will 12/2 be ok as from what i have read it says 12/2 up to 240 watts total.

thank you:)

2. JoeyD

JoeyD LawnSite Silver Member

12/2 is good for 240w at 100% which according to the NEC you should never exceed 80% of the wires capacity. Therefore your 12/2 cable is only good for 192w. I would suggest splitting the run into 2 runs.

Let me know if you have any other questions!

3. Pro-Scapes

Pro-Scapes LawnSite Platinum Member

like Joey said you gotta split it to 2 or more runs. You would be risking melting that wire down.

Also its going to depend on how you have this wired up. If you have it all daisy chained your going to be disapointed in the performance and the voltage drop you have. 2 to 3 runs depending on the layout

4. David Gretzmier

David Gretzmier LawnSite Gold Member

many times I think it is 60 ft til I measure it and it is 80 ft, further, I always build in at least room for 1 more light on each run. so I'm for 3 runs of 12 guage.

5. klkanders

klkanders LawnSite Senior Member
    from Midwest

Hey Joey and Billy,
    I believe he said 2 seperate runs:

one run of 4 12v wash lights 35w approx 60 ft = 140 watts
    one run of 2 12v wash lights 35w and one 12v spot 35w approx 40 ft = 105 watts

You are certainly fine with this but do not have much room on transformer if more lights are needed in future. I would either hub these or T method. Where the fixtures are located will determine this.

Good Luck!
    Keith

6. Chris J

Chris J LawnSite Silver Member

I think you guys are misunderstanding his question. He has multiple runs already, but his total watt load is 245.
    BIGHEAVY, from what I'm reading you have 140w on one run, and 105 on the other. As long as you aren't daisy chaining the fixtures, you are good to go. Depending on your transformer, you shouldn't load it beyond 80%, which would be 240, so you are still ok there.

Hooked on Phonics worked for me! :cool2: :laugh:

7. klkanders

from Midwest

Chris,
    Exactly what I said! I guess we are not too old to read a post correctly huh?
    Joey and Billy are buyin us the first and second rounds next conference! :drinkup:

8. klkanders

from Midwest

Still I would think with a name like BIGHEAVY you would use 8/2 on everything!
    Sorry...too much sun today.............and caffeine!

Keith

9. BIGHEAVY

BIGHEAVY LawnSite Member

I will have two separte runs & i was going to daisy chain them together 4 on one and three on other. if i could figure out how to post a pic of my house i could show what id like to do. thanks to all:usflag:

10. BIGHEAVY

BIGHEAVY LawnSite Member